Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Capacitor configuration

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:33 PM
ShodoPan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capacitor configuration

I recently bought a Speed 600 motor for a plane I'm building, and it came with three capacitors and these instructions. The part I'm unsure of is "file the area on the motor can...solder the leads to the motor can." The instructions also state that "for modified motors solder this lead to the tab located underneath the endbell locking screw." What constitutes a "modified" motor? And what is an "endbell locking screw?" For right now, I just scraped off a bit of label and soldered the leads to the side of the motor.

Is this all I need to do?

I'm rather new to all this, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:08 AM
kickitonetime

I'm no expert, but from my r/c car knowledge that setup looks good to me. The endbell locking screw or whatever I believe is that screw just up/right of your can-solder connection that has that flimsy tab on it. That screw is for adjusting the timing of the motor(not recommended, I've screwed em up). I honestly rarely use capacitors on my backyard cars since they are primarily for stopping radio interference, however I can see how this would be crucial for flying .
Old 06-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Dave Lilley

Default Re: Capacitor configuration

You did it correctly. The end bell locking screw is a small screw or screws at the back of the motor. They hold the end (end bell) in a fixed position relative to the case. In your picture, you can see timing marks on the side of the case. If you want to advance the timing, for example, you can loosen the end bell screws and then rotate the end of the motor in relation to the case. This changes the timing. For more information on motor timing, see the following link.

Motor timing

Dave

Originally posted by ShodoPan
I recently bought a Speed 600 motor for a plane I'm building, and it came with three capacitors and these instructions. The part I'm unsure of is "file the area on the motor can...solder the leads to the motor can." The instructions also state that "for modified motors solder this lead to the tab located underneath the endbell locking screw." What constitutes a "modified" motor? And what is an "endbell locking screw?" For right now, I just scraped off a bit of label and soldered the leads to the side of the motor.

Is this all I need to do?

I'm rather new to all this, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:00 PM
ShodoPan

Ahh, thanks a lot.