Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

help and suggest plz!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM
harsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help and suggest plz!

i ve just finished designing an airplan, wing span- 40" chord- 8", fuselage -30" . i m not able to figure out which engine size to use,
weight estimated to be in range of 700gm to 1kg (including electronics and engine )
i mean wether i shud use .15 engine or some electric motors.
if you suggest a motor then what size of motor (or name) i shud use.
sorry if i sounded stupid but seriously , i have never been into electrics and have no idea abt that field..
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Dr Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help and suggest plz!

About 100W/lb is adequate for leisurely flight (for aerobatics 150-200W/lb is the norm)... so reverting to this antiquated imperial measurement you are at 1.5-2.2lb... thus you'll need 150-220W of input power.... 300W would get you very spirited performance. Most decent outrunners of 70g-80g can cope with 200W+... so might I suggest something like a 70g Suppo A2217K/8 (1100Kv) which could spin a 10x6 GWS HD at 9000rpm (50mph pitch speed), getting you 1135g (40oz) thrust from 21A/220W.

That gets you at least 100W/lb... and just as importantly a thrust to weight ratio of better than 1:1.... more than enough for decent flying. Make sure you get an ESC rated for at least 25A and a 3s Lipo or 10-cell NiMh pack capable of coping with 25A+ too.