Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
 Castle Creations Phoenix ice 100 - will not run >

Castle Creations Phoenix ice 100 - will not run

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Castle Creations Phoenix ice 100 - will not run

Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle Creations Phoenix ice 100 - will not run

Hello

I have recently Purchased a Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 100 ESC from Advantage Hobby, Now i have the following problem. I am using the following Setup.

1) 4S 5000 Lipo Pack.
2) Little Screamers JS 1400 EDF motor 4100KV - 6 Pole
3) ARC 28-47-1 4100KV edf motor - 4 Pole
4) Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 100 ESC.

Now i have installed both the motors in a 70mm Ducted fan unit. However when i throttle up from anywhere between 1/2 and above throttle the motor starts to pulse and the rpm increase and decrease extremely fast while i maintain a steady throttle. It is almost a pulsating motion. The ducted fan Unit lurches forward and relaxes without any corresponding throttle input from my Side. When i replaced the Castle Creations ICE 100 with a Turnigy 80 amp ESC, both the motors run Smoothly.

I then tried various settings on the ESC such as timing & Switching Frequency. however to no avail. Is there a Solution to this problem, It is highly frustrating that a 50$ ESC is performing better than my 130 $ state of the art ESC. I did not program using the castle link, however do have access to one.
Is there something i should do to eliminate this problem. Is there some ESC setting or Firmware that has to be updated. I am at my Wits end.

Thanks & regards
Ravi Kothari.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: Castle Creations Phoenix ice 100 - will not run

It is usually recommended that brushless motors in twin configuration require an ESC for each motor. There should be something about this on the Castle website. If not, email them. I find they answer.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did not state the c rating of your battery pack. If the castle esc is set at soft cutoff setting and sounds as if you may be drawing amps at limit of battery rating then the castle esc will pulse a bit at high throttle setting because your battery voltage is down to about 3v per cell. This is normal. If the controller had been set at hard cutoff then at the higher throttle setting your motor will totaly cut off. This is a built in safety feature that castle has so you don't fry/burn up your lipo battery. You get what you pay for I am afraid. It is well worth the minimal investment to get the castle link . Hope this makes sence.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On twin engine installations Casdtle states that one ESC for each motor .
Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (26)

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: stegl

On twin engine installations Casdtle states that one ESC for each motor .
I don't think he ever said he was running both motors off of one ESC. The way I read his post he is having the same problem with 2 different motors, each mounted individually to the same fan unit.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 AM

<style type="text/css">@font-face { font-family: "Cambria";}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style><p class="MsoNormal">I had the same problem. If you're using a single battery, use an esc and battery for each motor. You've got to program the esc with the castle link. There are settings for the "minimum voltage cut off". You can deactivate this setting, but the esc won't be covered under warranty. The next setting up is one for helicopters, but will obviously work with "aircraft" and castle warrants the esc under this setting. As others have stated, this setting desensitizes the esc so it at least won't cut off on you as it did for me on two separate planes on the same day. It cost me several hundred dollars in an "education" and a lot of time in repairs. I'm running an Axi 5320/18 with a Phoenix 80 and Thunderpower 4s 5000 30c; and 16/8 prop with that set-up I pulled 55amp from the system. With a 16/10 prop, I pulled 77amps. Regardless, Ihad fluctuations in the current draw and Ihad an electrical engineer mention "breaking in the motor" may settle down the fluctuations. Anyone ever experienced "breaking an electric motor" and how is that done?</p>