Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 Max Watts? Max RPMs?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Waterlogged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 Max Watts? Max RPMs?

I have an Orbit 25-16 outrunner but unable to locate any information on it in regards to max in-flight RPMs or surge amps/ how long?.... I'm running a 14.5x9 CAM folding prop and 5S A123, the motor/batteries don't get vary warm (16.5V 43A static @ 700watts
) after 10 minutes of sport flying.

Anyone have the stats for the Orbit 25 motors? (Yes, I have the prop-data sheets and other specs from ICare-RC, but they fail to state maximum Continous/Surge/RPMs for these motors).

Anyone running 6S and over 50Amps? @1000W+.....

Thanks- WL
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Waterlogged

Default RE: Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 Max Watts? Max RPMs?

I bought a Hobbico Nexstar .46 ARF and converting it over to electric using a Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 and 6S A123 LiFe packs. Will post pics as I "augment" the fuselage with lightening holes and use of CF to strengthen as needed. Power should be @850w and 20 minutes cruising on a 6S and APC 13/7 prop.

WL
Old 10-10-2009, 03:36 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.flyingmodels.org -> "The great electric motor test"
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966298

I checked Dr Kiw's tests, but he hasn't tested your motor (yet?). Phil, any news on Plettenberg tests?

Several e-flight calculators, notably Drive Calculator, MM_Calc and it's derivatives, WebOCalc etc.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606703

Prettig weekend Ron
Old 10-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Waterlogged

There are quite a few tools out there which help a person find a system, such as RealFlite G4.5 (Has Nexstar Glow and can change the airframe specs to use whatever electric combo you desire.... AND gives you pretty accurate telemetery while flying), and MotoCalc8.

I have yet to model "The Project" on RealFlite G4.5 yet (waiting for my controller to come back from repairs) but I've played with MotoCalc a lot and come to these points:

Motor: 790 watts and cruising 32 minutes @45% throttle.....

Hobbico Nexstar ARF ($129)
Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 (Feb 17, 2006) ($200)
CastleCreations ICE 75 ESC (w/ 8S BEC! and motor/battery telemetery!) ($120)
A123 6S (2300's) ($134 ea)
APC 12x8E
Spektrum DX7 (Using 3 standard digital servos in kit 1.5oz ea. 88oz)

@88 oz AUW @149watts/lb

-WL
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Waterlogged

WOW, I just loaded all the spec information on the motor into RealFlite G4.5 and the plane flys, but it's saying only 380 watts output on the combo. Something seems wrong. MotoCalc8 shows nearly 900 watts on a 6S A123 pack and APC 12-8E.

DSD
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Waterlogged

I have since prop'd this motor using a 6S 2200mA Lipo pack with full power of 1640W on an APC 14x8.5E. I only run full power for less than 5 seconds every few minutes...... the motor does not show any signs of wear. What a beautiful motor! I can putt around for 24 minutes @30% throttle for Sunday flying, or awe! others with a slow fly-by and punch it! and pull straight up and to 500ft in 5 seconds.

I love this motor!

-WL
Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Waterlogged

Sofar there are 80 flights on my NexStar with the 7sA123 2300 and APC 14x8.5E on Orbit 25-16 & CC ICE-75..... No issues and runs like new. 25 minutes on 2100-2200mA. Plane weighs 3kg.

-WL
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Dr Kiwi

I checked Dr Kiw's tests, but he hasn't tested your motor (yet?). Phil, any news on Plettenberg tests?

Sorry Ron... I've never been able to get my hands on one!
Old 03-05-2020, 06:13 AM
Avaiojet

Default Plettenberg Orbit 25-16

I'm giving up IC. A friend gave me a NIB Plettenberg 25-16. Lucky me! Or am I?

My model weighs 60oz. dry could go to 63oz. framed, painted and empty of all electrical gear.

So, with this motor and this model weight, what battery pack will work for a 6 minute flight?

C
Old 03-05-2020, 08:19 AM
Waterlogged

Funny I just dug mine out of the drawer for a 1.8m Nike 2 glider project. This motor was Prime Quality 14 years ago and IMHO still better quality than most, but as technology and manufacturing gets better so do current motors vs. cost compared to a decade before. But that motor there will do up to 1600w on a 6s lipo spinning a 14x8.5 APCe prop and pull your plane straight up at 60mph!...... but throttle back to 33% and cruise around for 20 minutes at a fair clip. Any 5s/6s 2700mah 60C pack and 80A esc will give you great satisfaction. 10 minute sport flights.

I flew my 102oz 70in Nextstar with this motor on 7s2300 A123/6s2200mah lipo packs for 10 minutes with a few high speed passes and verticals tossed in. With 2 packs one can charge at 3C while you fly the other. Sport flying should be @6-7 minutes between 60-80% throttle play.

>What is your safe ground clearance going to be for grass/runway landings?... for propeller choice.

Last edited by Waterlogged; 03-05-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:51 AM
Avaiojet

Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
Funny I just dug mine out of the drawer for a 1.8m Nike 2 glider project. This motor was Prime Quality 14 years ago and IMHO still better quality than most, but as technology and manufacturing gets better so do current motors vs. cost compared to a decade before. But that motor there will do up to 1600w on a 6s lipo spinning a 14x8.5 APCe prop and pull your plane straight up at 60mph!...... but throttle back to 33% and cruise around for 20 minutes at a fair clip. Any 5s/6s 2700mah 60C pack and 80A esc will give you great satisfaction. 10 minute sport flights.

I flew my 102oz 70in Nextstar with this motor on 7s2300 A123/6s2200mah lipo packs for 10 minutes with a few high speed passes and verticals tossed in. With 2 packs one can charge at 3C while you fly the other. Sport flying should be @6-7 minutes between 60-80% throttle play.

>What is your safe ground clearance going to be for grass/runway landings?... for propeller choice.
Wow! what a quick reply!! Thank you.

Safe ground clearance off grass is 14" off pavement could be 16". I'm looking for only a 5 minute flight because the model is for control line.
Obviously I'd like to keep the weight of the electrical equipment as light as possible. Eventually I can change to a throttled R/C set-up and do touch n goes. I was given a 5 cell battery pack also. It's a Prolite TP2800-25C. I have no idea if this battery pack can be used with this motor for a constant 5 minute flight. All I know is IC and model airplane graphics, after that, I'm useless, ask my wife.
Believe me, help is desperately needed. BTW, the model is 55" in span and has 570 sq in of wing area. Here it is with an IC engine in it.

Thanks again,

C

Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Waterlogged

Originally Posted by Avaiojet View Post
I'm giving up IC. A friend gave me a NIB Plettenberg 25-16. Lucky me! Or am I?

My model weighs 60oz. dry could go to 63oz. framed, painted and empty of all electrical gear.

So, with this motor and this model weight, what battery pack will work for a 6 minute flight?

C
Well first of all this motor has two things going against it.... One it's $224 New..... it would be a shame to nose it in and damage it since it's 4x more power than you need. A model of that size with the added benefit of not needing radio gear can use smaller motor/battery combo.

something like 300 watts would be more than enough to make that go @60mph? That fast enough? Get yourself a brushless speed controller to run a smaller pack. Most speed controls can be set to shut off the motor when the battery hits LVC (low voltage cut-off) so the lipo doesn't over discharge. Then we just run the battery capacity or propeller size based on flight time... or throttle setting. Set throttle on transmitter and set it down... airplane will run at that speed until LVC...

rcgroups.com should have an electric controlline section. I welcome you to take a look
Old 03-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Avaiojet

Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
Well first of all this motor has two things going against it.... One it's $224 New..... it would be a shame to nose it in and damage it since it's 4x more power than you need. A model of that size with the added benefit of not needing radio gear can use smaller motor/battery combo.

something like 300 watts would be more than enough to make that go @60mph? That fast enough? Get yourself a brushless speed controller to run a smaller pack. Most speed controls can be set to shut off the motor when the battery hits LVC (low voltage cut-off) so the lipo doesn't over discharge. Then we just run the battery capacity or propeller size based on flight time... or throttle setting. Set throttle on transmitter and set it down... airplane will run at that speed until LVC...

rcgroups.com should have an electric controlline section. I welcome you to take a look
Thank you for your input.

Could you put together a list of the motor and components you recommend?

It would be appreciated.

C
Old 03-07-2020, 05:44 AM
ron_van_sommeren

I'm giving up IC. ...
Some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, including two online books, and some handy e-tools as well.
Will save you, and us Name:  biggrin.gif
Views: 20
Size:  1.0 KB a lot of questions, and probably a crash or two. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions Name:  frown.gif
Views: 16
Size:  1.0 KB
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools - RCG

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter.

It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.
Keep battery-/-watt-/multi-meter wires short!
too long wires batteryside will kill ESC over time: precautions, solutions & workarounds - RCG

Prettig weekend Name:  wink.gif
Views: 21
Size:  1.0 KB Ron
Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow
e-flight calculators watt-meters diy motor tips&tricks Cumulus MFC
Old 03-07-2020, 10:33 AM
Avaiojet

Ron,

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to not have to "reinvent the wheel," seeing all this stuff has been in motion for more than just about two decades.

With the model's weight, wing area AND the engine choice, one would think it's a cake walk for someone with "correct" experience to list a set-up? One would think?

No, I'm not trying to skip the learning process, not even "electric stuff 101," nor am I looking for the easy way out, hardly. That's not my nature.

I just want to buy, bolt stuff in and fly the model, all the rest simply falls into place "as you go." Like many things actually..

I have quite a few models which will be set up for electric after this one.

Thanks again for the reply.

CB
Old 03-07-2020, 02:22 PM
ron_van_sommeren

... With the model's weight, wing area AND the engine choice, one would think it's a cake walk for someone with "correct" experience to list a set-up? One would think? ...
There are a few handy rules of thumb for electric RC planes about, plane mass and plane type are leading in powering, but I don't have that info/links for control line.
You could ask in a control line (sub)forum.
stunthanger.com , Control Line - RCG ?

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 03-08-2020 at 04:55 AM.