Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC cutoff voltage

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC cutoff voltage

I understand that for a 3s lipo the minimum/cutoff voltage is 9.0 or so- maybe 9.2.

Now my question is why do some speed controls use a lower voltage?

For instance the great planes silver series spec says:
"Low Voltage Cutoff: Battery voltage x .67"
I interpret this to mean that it will operate to cut off the power to the motor when the battery voltage is 2/3 of the voltage measured/sensed by the speed control when the battery is connected to the speed control. If I assume the voltage is say 12,3 volts for a 3s battery, the speed control would then cut off the motor when the voltage drops to 8.2 volts right?

From what I have checked so far the park zone speed controls also use this cutoff (.67) but they add 9v next to this. So what does that mean?

Thanks for your help.

Ed
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM
DaveFlynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC cutoff voltage

It depends on the battery, but to be on the safe side set the motor cut-off to 10 volts so that you have enough left to run the RX and servos to land without dropping below 9.0 and possibly doing damage to the battery.

Some batteries don't seem to mine being drained to 8 volts while other will puff up and die.