Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC Getting Too Hot Too Fast

Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ESC Getting Too Hot Too Fast

I am working on a Trex 250 with a small brushless motor. I am not new to electric heli's or planes but have never ran in to this before. The ESC is getting hot very quickly after plugging in the battery. I have tried 2 different amperages and brands of ESC's and the same thing is happening with both. One got so hot so fast i could hardly hold on to it after just a few seconds. Even then the servos were not acting right to inputs from the transmitter. It is a new JR FM receiver with a JR9303 transmitter. Could rx. be the cause? I'm stumped on this one.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESC Getting Too Hot Too Fast

Perhaps some info about batteries, motor etc would be helpful. Since you are not new to this I assume your wireing is correct. it's not likely that rx is at fault.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As TedMo said, a little more info would help, but something is way out of wack if the esc is getting that hot that quick. It should get warm as the bec is unloading the pack voltage down to the voltage required for the rx/servos, but not hot.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM
OldScaleGuy

Well fella's i appreciate the input. Everything seems to be working fine now. I did find that not only the actual flight pack (3S 850mah 15c) was very low on voltage so was the other pack i was using a for testing (3S 2100mah 25c). So i am not really sure if the low voltage would cause the esc to get hot but that is the only thing i found that i could call wrong and as mentioned all seems ok now.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

too much or too little voltage can cause very large amounts of current to flow.

It is always something.
Did you correctly program the electric speed controllerfor the right # of cells ?. It should ?? kick off, if the battery goes that low.

Rich
Old 12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
OldScaleGuy

Rich, no actually i did not program it to 3 cells. The Trex 250 kit came with the motor and esc and specified 3S so i never gave that part of it a thought. Thanks though, i will confirm it.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM
jooNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have checked servoes for binding. Could be the BEC-part working hard due to a servo. Just one more thing which could cause this...