Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Gws P-51 rolling on hand launch

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 08:07 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gws P-51 rolling on hand launch

I have been working on my p-51 for a while and it all began with a crappy motor. I had a mabuchi 50 motor on it that came with it. way underpowered(glides after launch?) I am using an 8.4 350 milli amp pack on it now and it still wont fly. so then i shipped the motor thinking its the motor thats the prob. i got a new motor in the mail 2 weeks later from horizon hobby. It made it fly but you must fly full throttle or it stalls? OKay so i flew it a couple times and hurray...boring slow flights? I bought the thing b/c my friends zero was awesome and hey a zero and mustang duke'n it out behind our houses, cool or what. the mustang is slower heavier and just sluggish compared to it in the air. Down to business. A couple days ago i hand launched it and it did a barrel roll right off the start. I checked both cg's(side to side, fore and aft) the thing was right on. Next i checked the batteries(peaked). then i went to my 10 amp ecs. JUST FINE. hmm my control surfaces were right on like normal. same 10 by 8 prop. not a torque issue i thought. the thrust angle is normal and all checked out okay. I next put a new pack in it. waited to see if there was a gusty crosswind but there wasn't so i threw it level and full throttle the dang thang rolled again but faster and bent the pilot shaft(bad design b/c big spinner =more of a chance to bend shaft) If you guys can see whats wrong give me a haller. Thanks in the meantime, flying my wild VIPER TWIN(i love that thing!)
Old 07-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's called a "tip stall," and it comes from not having enough speed. One wing, usually the right one because of motor torque, stalls, and motor torque flips the plane over.

I believe the root of your power problem is in the battery. A 350mAh NiCd may not be able to provide the Volts and Amps necessary to fly the airplane adeuqately. Most people are using 8-cell, 720mAh or 800mAh NiMH cells. You need something that can provide about 8 Amps and maintain its voltage.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:29 AM
DrkSdeOTM

Your prob. is definitely the battery...try using 8.4V 730mah AAA...gws sells them for all their park flyers...use same on my p51, funny park and zero...FLYS AWESOME!!! Bare minimum I would say is 8.4 600mah 2/3AA...allowed mine to get in air, but speed is lacking. Also, and this is totally up to you, I put a 4 blade 8x8 prop on my P51...seems much more efficient than with the 10x8 they provide. Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2003, 09:13 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

This weekend im going to the shop to grab one of these batteries. At my shop they have the hecell 8 cell 9.6 volt batt for 23 bucks which is good at 700 mah. I also have a 8 cell 2/3a pack that is 1100 but is 5.5 ounces(3 more than the aaa pack!) thanks
In the meantime looking out the window for my Viper Twin to come in(their server has been down they said this week now next week that it will come in......Im thinking about canceling and getting a Funtana 3d and putting my 46 fx in it ?? good idea or should i wait for the Viper Twin?)
Old 07-17-2003, 01:44 AM
DrkSdeOTM

8 cell 2/3a is too heavy...the 9.6 may be too much for your plane to handle with a cheaper ESC...if youre going to use that voltage I'd suggest upgrading your ESC...will pay for itself in long run...no crashes due to electrical failure
Old 08-17-2003, 06:10 AM
tdrnmartin
My Feedback: (2)

What kind of current are the folks with the 8 cell packs pulling?

Also, has anyone burned up a motor sooner with the 8 cell pack over the 7?

I just try to decide what to do about the battery area, before I glue the halves together.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2003, 02:47 PM
DrkSdeOTM

current depends on what size motor youre running...I know on my GWS funny park I wasnt pulling more than 6 or 8 amps with the 280 motor...my twinjet will pull anywhere from 20-25 with twin 400's...as far as burning out motors with 8 cells over 7 I never burned out a motor provided in a GWS kit...although one must remember the more cells the greater the chance of frying the motor.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
tdrnmartin

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my question that I?m curious about the GWS P-51 and GWS provided motor system. I have a couple of different type and sizes of packs left over from a Hobby Lobby hellcat that I?d like to modify for the P-51. I?d noticed in a few other threads and in this one it was mentioned that some have found the plane difficult to fly with the recommended 6 or 7 cell packs and that an 8-cell pack was the solution. I was wondering if any of the folks that were using the 9.6V packs with the stock GWS motor had any current draw information and also wondered if the motor had a shorter life on 8 cells? Was the model more sensitive to control inputs due the additional thrust, i.e. harder to control?
I?d like to have a good idea of what will be a reasonable pack type and size so that I can modify the battery space before I glue the fuse halves together and avoid the problems that others have encountered.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:23 PM
DrkSdeOTM

If the P51 from GWS is anything like my funny park kit there are 3 different ARF kits for the plane...the 100, 300, and 400. Different in size of motor and thus components needed/wanted. If you choose the ARF kit with the 400 motor in it 8 cell packs are a little easier for the motor to handle...if has motor less powerful than that i would have to say stick with 7...greater chance of burnout. Also GWS recommends 8.4v batts (730mah,7 cell AAA size) for the funny park dont know if they recommend same for P51.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The EPS300C handles 8 cells just fine. It is usually prudent to drop down a propeller size to keep the current reasonable, though.

Personally, I like the 9x7 3-blade if I'm running 8 cells on an EPS300C plane.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:41 PM
tdrnmartin

What's the current like if you use the originally supplied prop?