Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

anyone know about sensorless brushless motorS?

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

anyone know about sensorless brushless motorS?

Old 07-12-2003, 04:14 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know about sensorless brushless motorS?

I have heard about these motors and was thinking of putting a brushless in my new wattage ultimate, anyone know about these? If not which brushless setup should i go with?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:42 AM
electric-2000

Default Brushless

To name a few, these should get you started:

http://www.razormotors.com -Razor
http://www.aveox.com -Aveox
http://www.aero-model.com -Hacker

The Razor motors are working best for small plane under 2 lbs!

Mike
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
magicaxeman

Default RE: anyone know about sensorless brushless motorS?

Just make sure that if you are using a sensorless motor you get an ESC thats sensorless as well
Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 AM
jdetray

Nearly all brushless motors commonly used in R/C flight are sensorless. Examples include Axi, Hacker, PJS, Jeti, MP Jet, Mega, Feigao, Astro Flight, GWS, E-Flite, Himax, Align, Hyperion, Rimfire, the inexpensive imports from the Far East -- all are sensorless.

Likewise, all of the most popular brushless electronic speed controllers (ESCs) are sensorless.

In fact, I don't know who makes sensored motors and ESCs for R/C flight, although someone probably does.

So with few exceptions, we use sensorless brushless motors and ESCs for R/C flight.

- Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
highflyer65

jdetray

I've often wondered about the sensorless esc question as 90% don't say if they are or are not sensorless, and it sounds like I don't have to worry about it .Thanks for the information.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:41 AM
ChopperMike

I'm not aware of any model uses of sensor equipped brushless DC motors. I'm an electronics technician who works on industrial equipment and the only place you typically see brushless DC motors with either an encoder or resolver for speed feedback is in industrial servo applications.

Mike
Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
jdetray

What little I know about sensored brushless motors comes from opening up CD-ROM drives to scavenge parts for my homemade brushless motors.

Many CD-ROM drives have a small sensored brushless motor driving the spindle. The motor is mounted on a small circuit board. On the board, spaced evenly around the perimeter of the rotating can, are 3 tiny Hall effect sensors. The ESC uses signals from these sensors to determine the rotational position of the can. In this type of sensored brushless motor, there are at least 7 wires between the motor and the ESC: 3 for the motor phases and 4 for the sensors (3 sensors plus a common connection).

In our R/C-type sensorless brushless motors, there are no sensors to tell the ESC the position of the can, but the ESC still requires this information. So the ESC energizes only 2 of the 3 phases at any given instant in time. During the moments when a phase is not energized, the ESC uses it to determine the position of the can (a coil of wire in a moving magnetic field produces a small current, which is detected by the ESC). No sensors are required.

- Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
pilotpete2

Hey Mike,
The Aveox BLDC motors that first hit the R/C hobby years ago were sensored versions, but that was a ways back
O.T., but I have to ask, do you ever get a negative reaction from some in the hobby for using the "industry" designation of brushless DC motor, I sure do[X(]
Regards,
Pete