Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Oiling the bearing in a Turnigy brushless outrunner motor

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Oiling the bearing in a Turnigy brushless outrunner motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Oiling the bearing in a Turnigy brushless outrunner motor

I have heard that the bearings in some of the Turnigy brand brushless outrunner motors should be oiled every now and then to extend their usable life. How do you accomplish this.

Karol
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM
speedy72vega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oiling the bearing in a Turnigy brushless outrunner motor

Hi Karol, what I use is general purpose household oil from Home Depot. The bottle has a long extendable tube, and can get into tight spaces. I will usually hold the motor with the shaft in the upright, vertical position. Put a drop of the oil on the bearing, usually enough to cover the whole surface, but not so much that it spills into the motor. Rotate the motor shaft back and forth several times, until you see the oil disappear into the bearing.
I have done this with all of my Turnigy motors since having a bearing failure early on. I haven't had too many problems with them since. If you do end up with a bad bearing, I have heard that Boca Bearings is a good place to get replacements.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Oiling the bearing in a Turnigy brushless outrunner motor

Thanks [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Karol