Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushed ESC without "safe-start" feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed ESC without "safe-start" feature

Hey gang,

Question for the masses. I'm looking for a brushed ESC that does NOT have any sort of "safe start" or "power safe" type feature, or such feature can be disabled. The ESC should be able to drive the motor immediately upon being switched on.

The purpose of such a request is to add "programmability" to an existing home made smoke system. I need a method of linking pump voltage to throttle position. Obviously, there are pumps on the market that do this natively, but at this point, it's more about the challenge than anything. *lol*

A brief (1-2 seconds) DELAY would be acceptable, but anything that required particular throttle settings...e.g. Throttle must be at idle, then full, to activate ESC...would obviously be unacceptable....I can't be moving throttle from idle to full and back just to enable smoke!

The ESC probably doesn't need to be very large. While i have not measured the current demands of the existing system directly, base don battery consumption I can'timagineit needing over an Amp....and, let's be honest...if i'm wrong here, the worst case scenerio is the smoke doesn't work. Hardly the end of the world.

So...anyone got any ideas?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Brushed ESC without

My guess is you'd have to find an old brushed ESc. I might have one, but I'm leaving for Toledo. Back Sunday. I think I still have a working Astro Micro 10 or something like that. It goes back to the earlu ninties and didn't have anyof the saftey features of the modern ones.
Walt
Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 AM
gboulton

Walt,

If you'd be so kind as to take a peek when you return, I'd be awfully grateful.  If you DO have one, I'd certainly be willing to make an appropriate offer!

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Walt Thyng

Okay. I'm out the door! First time ever and I've been flying for over 40 years !!!
Walt
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 PM
mjsas

You did not specify brushed or brushless. Here are a bunch of brushed ESC's, maybe one of them does not have a safety on. I designed an analog ESC just to see if I could. It measures every servo pulse without any delay so it responds very fast. Also it has no safety on.
If you need it I could post the circuit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157193
Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: mjsas
You did not specify brushed or brushless.
Really? I didn't?

ORIGINAL: gboulton
Question for the masses. I'm looking for a brushed ESC that does NOT have any sort of "safe start" or "power safe" type feature, or such feature can be disabled. The ESC should be able to drive the motor immediately upon being switched on.
Funny....coulda sworn I did.

============

As it happens, spokewithhe fine folks at Castle yesterday afternoon, and it looks like maybe we'll get one of their Pixie 7's to work...going to give that a try...should, hopefully, know something by the time Walt gets back.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Walt Thyng

GB, back from Toledo. WOW. Two days next year!

Okay, I've got an Astro 217 Micro Speed controller for brushed motors. I can probably find the instructions, too. This is basically a second or at the most third generation esc; none of the fancy safe start, lvc etc. It's yours for $5.00 mailed by USPS.
Walt
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

GB, back from Toledo. WOW. Two days next year!

Okay, I've got an Astro 217 Micro Speed controller for brushed motors. I can probably find the instructions, too. This is basically a second or at the most third generation esc; none of the fancy safe start, lvc etc. It's yours for $5.00 mailed by USPS.
Walt
Walt,

Thanks for digging that out for me....

Give me just a couple days to fiddle with a Pixie 7 i dug up locally, and one other. Both have "safe start" type programming, but I THINK we might get around it with some fancy radio programming. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow or Wed to test thattheory.

If not, then i'll eagerly take the Astro off your hands.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Walt Thyng

Okay, it's been sitting in my box f old stuff for a couple of years, so a few more days won't matter. If you don't want it that's fine, but please let me know either way.
Walt