Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Supertigre st.10

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 PM
CBM Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supertigre st.10

Ok, so I hopped on board and bought the st.10 shortly after release. Now, wishing I had saved my cash, problem after problem lately. Had it in my PZ Corsair and worked ok for about 20 flights last season, although it ran very hot. First flight this year started surging hard. Changed to fresh battery and same thing. Decided to put stock motor in and problem solved and plane flew much stronger. Looking at motor and the c-clip holding in shaft is gone so shaft pulls right out, figured that would be cause of surging as it pulls out it slows down and when popped back in power on again...Anyway, found a clip that fit and did a test run, clip went flying, wheeezuuwheeezuuwheeezuu...Whats the deal here I thought? Close look at shaft shows what seems a VERY shallow groove for clip to seat in. So, rather than waste time trying get a replacement shaft I think I'll try and cut the groove a bit deeper. I guess it's true, you do get what you pay for! Over heating on 10x6 prop, shorter flight times, and less performance aren't exactly an upgrade. On the plus side, it might work for a smaller plane/prop combo being a bit lighter in weight. If I can find a way to try it in my radian for weight savings and short motor runs I might try it, that's if I can get the shaft to stay put.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Supertigre st.10

Ummm some thoughts here. Generic as I don't have the specs on your motor. First off a motor getting hot is not a good thing, you can cook the magnets, or even burn it up, or the esc. Need to know why it was getting hot.

Not enough airflow, too big of a prop, etc. You get the magnets too hot and they loose their power, and so follows the motor.

Something else, the stock 2 blade prop if memory serves me is a 10x8, the 3 blade is around 9.5 x 7.5. Now then running a 10x6 would reduce your speed.

As for the E not C clip, are you sure you had the correct size, metric/ standard? Too small of one would go on but not go around far enough to lock on. Too big would go around but not have enough tension to stay on when the case pulled against it.

If you can't get the correct E clip, try this if there is enough shaft sticking out. Slip a wheel collar over the shaft, and tighten it down. Remove the collar and you'll see a mark where the screw bit into the shaft. File a small flat there, and reinstall the collar. The flat will keep the collar from slipping off.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
CBM Racing

Yup, thought of the wheel collar, but not enough shaft for it. The stock 2 blade prop is 9 1/2x7 1/2. It's not really a bad motor per se I guess, just over spec'd from factory I think. Plus e or c clip problems are from to shallow of groove, but chucking it into drill and cutting it deeper solved that. Like dr.kiwi mentions in his testing, an ok 200w motor if high efficiency isn't to important. Got it sorted though and mounted in radian sailplane for a few oz. of weight savings and better balance, so it'll do for awhile.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
foo

My st motors use a snap ring innstead of c or e clips.