Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Confused on throttle control

Old 07-20-2003, 06:16 PM
flycracker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on throttle control

With brushless motors is there a negative effect to running the throttle at near idle for a period of time? Seems I have read that the motor performs best at full speed while good throttle management on most sport planes would require various positions during a flight. Any one have a theory that makes sense?
Mac
Old 07-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac,

That is true on some setups but not all of them.

For the most part, the new ESCs have eliminated much of the inefficiency in partial throttle control. It helps to make sure that your ESC is a good match for your brushless motor.

Some systems like Hacker and MaxCim make ESCs that match their motor characteristics. The new high pole outrunners need certain ESC characteristics to get the best performance from them. The new Jeti ADVANCE, Kontronic SMILE series, Schultz, and, Castle Creation ESCs have programmable operating modes for different motors and flying preferences.

The best type of brushless motor for near idle throttle are the sensored ones. The MaxCim motors are unsurpassed for linear throttle control and efficiency. They are sensored motors.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:31 PM
e-bird

On my eclipse 7 I had to set the upper end point then shut off power then set the upper end trim then the lower to get with castle C ctrl on a prism no problen setting the ends. CU
Old 07-20-2003, 11:29 PM
flycracker
My Feedback: (1)

Default throttle

Thanks Greg, I am using the Axi 4120/18 with HM48 in a Lexx. the esc is programable but I don't have any info for the Axi that would tell me how to set the esc. So far I have had no problems and seem to be getting good performance, but was concerned with the low throttle setting for certain maneuvers and landing approach.
Mac
Old 07-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac,

I don't know much about the Hacker Master Controller ESCs but the AXI 4120/18 is considered a high-pole motor.

My AXI 4120/14 motor uses a Jeti ADVANCE 70 amp Opto controller which has been optomized for these External Rotor or "rotating can" type motors.