Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Bad Speed Controller?

Old 07-21-2003, 04:23 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Speed Controller?

I just installed a GWS 300C (D drive) with a Dymond 20a speed controller and Hitec Electron RX into a Foam profile plane.... all new parts.

Everything works except the motor. I plugged the rudder servo into ch 3 to check and make sure the ch3 port worked. The rudder then moved with the throttle, so I know it's ok.

I'm assuming it's the speed controller, but I thought I'd ask here just in case I'm missing something easy.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Try reversing channel 3 on your transmitter. Sometimes, the off and full direction needs to be swapped for the ESC to work correctly.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:35 PM
MHawker

Thanks, Greg.

I tried reversing the channel and even brought the trim full up and full down, each time moving the stick full in either direction. Also some misc other stuff (connected without provided diode, hooked a C battery direct to motor to see if it actually turned... it did, etc)

Someone suggested the EPA, which I didn't try, but with the 9C, I don't think I've ever had to "increase throw". It's always maxed out and I've had to decrease it.

It's at the LHS getting checked out right now. I'll report back with either a "I'm a dufus" or "Hey, look what I figured out!"

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:53 AM
MHawker

Alright Greg, where do I send the Cupie Doll? Of course I "thought" I tried it. I actually remember reversing the channel, but I guess I never turned it on with it in the correct postion.

After the hobby store verified everything was fine, I took my plane and radio down there to pick up the speed controller. Confirming it worked with another radio, I knew it was on my end.

All's well that ends well. It works just fine now!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

I'm glad it works for you now.

Don't worry, i've been there too. Lessons learned at the school of "hard knocks" tend to stick with you.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:31 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg is a good guy. I used to fly with him at Mesa Verde Middle school.

I had a small problem with a Dymond 50 amp ESC. When you pu power to it the throttle servo would just freak out and start spinning. I took the Rx back to Hitec and they checked it out and said the Rx was good so I went back to Dymond and they tried several ESC's and they did the same thing. They tried a 30 and it was fine. I ended up with a different brand of ESC for the same price.

Dru.

P.S. Greg you can pay me later.