Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Thinking about starting a motor line

Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
kjg6583
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about starting a motor line

Thinking about manufacturing large Hypo Electric Motors???
I work as an electrical engineer for a custom transformer and magnetics manufacturer. I have access to the winders, engineers, and copper and different equipment and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start my own motor line. I would like to do very large brushless motor applications and custom motor applications for larger aircraft. Can anyone give me some input on whether or not this product would sell . Keep in mind we would want to make these motors the highest quality we can possibly achieve and offer a nice warranty with them. So they would be USA made with a warranty.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!!!

Kevin
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
jmohn

Default RE: Thinking about starting a motor line

Kevin,

There are a lot of motors out there. The only way to break into the market and do well wold be to make something better or unique. I don't think you can compete on price. If you could come up with a motor for larger planes that uses a gear drive system so you could use a smaller motor to swing a larger prop that would be a huge advantage over other motors.

Keep the motor in the 6-10s range and able to swing a 20-24" prop for much less cost because of batteries needed. Otherwise try and design a motor that uses lower voltage but still swings a large prop without gears. Not sure if this is possible, but it would help you sell a lot of motors.

I am not sure why nobody had gone to a gear drive system on large motors. I know that a couple companies to offer them, but those are too small or way too expensive.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
DaveFlynn

One motor I would like to see is a 4030-250. Stater 40mm Dia x 30mm long. Kv=220 to 250 RPM/Volt. Series wound "Y" to run 20 to 30 amps.

My biggest complaint with the available motors if that the Kv is too high. I like to run 9 or 12 cells, 2100mAh or 3200mAh with C ratings 16 or 20 for higher energy density.

Dave
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
kjg6583

jmohn :

Thats what I was thinking too in regards to finding our niche. I have the resources to produce motors and maybe test the market and see what people think. I need to know what pains people are having with large electric motors and what  I can do to remedy these. I like the idea of a gear drive sysytem to increase power with a smaller engine. Ideas like these are what I am looking for. We already build alot of the custom magnetics for the military and aerospace research. We have alot of high end automated winders like the broomfield 400 which is set up for transformers but I am told I can multi-wind smaller motors with perfect precision.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
kjg6583

DaveFlynn :

I will look into this when i get to that point, thanks for your input!