Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC shrink wrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC shrink wrap

Hi All,

With ESC cooling being a critical thing, I was wondering why all the ESC have shrink wrap on them. Is it to hold it together or is it just for protection from rough handling? Or both? It seems to me if I wanted to get maximum cooling, it would be better to take the shrink wrap off.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: ESC shrink wrap

I think it is obvious, all those board circuts exposed to shorting. It does not take more than a moment for a loose bolt, net, pin, or other foreign metal object to burn that unit out. Lots of guys that have taken the cover of their receiver off to lighten things a little leave them on after having to replace it from a brush with a metal object. I believe it is very important to balance the motor with a adequate controller/battery to that all is nor more than slightly warm after a flight. Anything hot should be investigated and corrected. Sometimes its just reducing the prop size or pitch by one number. A happy balanced system will give you more power and flight time done correctly. ENJOY
Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Real Gambler

Default RE: ESC shrink wrap

I would also add that it does give a little bit of protection against static electricity too... Nothing worst than a bare ESC in a foamy plane. Foam charge very easily, even just flying in the air. Electronic doesn't like static electricity. Having the two together is usually dangerous. Sure enough, heatshrink is not like a Faraday cage, but at least, it's one more barrier between sensitive electronic, and your body charged with 15,000 volts of static electricity. (Or vice-versa, your plane at 15KV and you grounded)