Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

what prop size

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:20 PM
crh2674

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what prop size

I have an exceed monster power 46 with a turnigy 60 amp plush esc and the largest battery I can fit in the plane is a 3300 mah 5s1p. I am using an 11x6 prop and just barely getting 3 min. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get more time out of this set up. I was going to try a 12x5 prop but I'm not sure what to do. I really can't get a bigger battery because it won't fit so any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what prop size

Get a watt meter. You cannot do anything without one. Once you know how much amp draw you have, you can determine what props will work.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 AM
crh2674

Thanks. I'll probably try that.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Dr Kiwi

3300mAh and 3 minutes suggests an average of 66A... assuming you are not at WOT continuously your peak amp draw must be well over that...maybe too much for the ESC. Even if you reduce prop size drastically and cut your amp draw in half, you'll still only get 6 minutes.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Bloomqum

OK, take this with a LARGE grain of salt, because I'm new to this hobby, but ...

I've been researching .40-.46 equivalent motors for a Telemaster project that I'm easing into. I've been looking real close at this particular motor and with a rating of 680Kv isn't it a high torque/ low rpm kind of beast? Threads I've run acrossfrom happy usersare talking about 12x6 and 14x6 props. Seems with a small, low pitch propthe 46has more than enough muscle, but not enough speed so it's inefficient. You're burning up the amps, but not moving the air you could be moving with it. Not too stealany thunder fromMr Powers, but you need monster truck tires for monster truck torque. JMTCW
Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Dr Kiwi

That motor is rated for 40A continuous/800W max.... on 5s that's about 43A....if you are only getting 3 minutes then maybe your pack is not up to snuff... or you are drawing way too many amps even with only an 11x6 on 5s. Putting a far larger prop on will only increase the amp draw!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Bloomqum

Yep, my apologies (shoulda put ?s at the end of most of those sentences inmy post).

Basicallyif the prop were undersized, it could be spun for a long time but not move the plane very well (low power consumption combined with poor efficiency). So, in this case, one of the numbers is a lie, and since he didn't burn out the ESC (60A rating drawing 66A), the mah rating of the battery is suspect? See, I got the right punctuation there this time <G>.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Pilotsmoe

I think if you put anything bigger than an 11x6 prop on this beast, you'll blow the esc. I just burned up an esc (60A plush) using this motor with a 12x6 apc with 5s2p 3000 in paralell. With a 11x6 I'm drawing around 850 watts. I kinda wonder if this motor really is a 680kv motor or mislabeled, wattage in seems kinda high with only a 11x6 prop