Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Odd question/situation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 AM
ACrisp1982
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd question/situation

Ok I have an engine that came out of a helicopter.

I am going to put a prop shaft on it and a prop and use it for a foam glider conversion.

The engine shaftturns left when it is given power. So if I nose mount it that means I need a pusher prop, right?

If I rear mount theengine then I would need a regular electric prop, I think.

Anyone have any knowledge on left turning electric engines being used in an airplane rather then a heli? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Odd question/situation

turns left from the front or from the rear of the motor>counter clockwise while viewing from the front is normal rotation..Is this a brushed motor? these questions will help with the answers you need
Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 AM
ACrisp1982

If you are standing behind the plane the engine turns left.

It is opposite of the normal gas engine.

It is a brushless out runner.

Is it safe to change the polarity of a burshless motor? I heard it is bad for the engine and it runs slower. I havent tested it.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Just swap any two wires between the motor and the ESC to reverse the bl or. If it stutters switch another pair. Most ESCs also have a reverse function, but hardly anybody bothers with it since switching wires is usually quicker.

Nota Bene: helicopter motors are designed to run fast. You may need to gear it or go with a very small prop. I learned this by buying a hacker out of a chopper. The only way I can get it in the power band for fixed wing flying is with a gearbox.
Walt
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 PM
ACrisp1982

Walt,

What gear box ratio would you recommend? Do you know of any cheep ones?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Walt Thyng

Is the motor and in-runner or out-runner. The way you stated things I made two assumptions: 1)it was brushless and 2) it was an out runner. I understand the new GP gear boxes with metal gears are much improved. My Hacker was an in-runner and I had to go to 6/1. If yours is an out-runner you might not need to go above 4/1.
Walt
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM
ACrisp1982

Well I was messing around with the engine tonight. I reversed the polarity so it ran the normal direction, clockwise when standing behind it. I was holding it by the mount and ran it up to half throttle and it felt great. I dont think I will need a gear box. It put out a lot of thrust, now I just need to mount it on the plane and finish converting the glider to an electric and we will see how it goes.I will post pictures when I am complete.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Walt Thyng

don't forget if you're powering a glider you are best off with a folding prop. Also with a folder you will need to activate the brake function on your Rx.

Powered gliders are great fun. I have several.
Walt
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
charlie111

It may have something to do with right rudder on take-off.You use alot of right rudder on take off because of a corkscrew affect around the plane from the proppelo and hits the tail on the left side making the plane turn left as you pick up speed the tail starts to work.But before you reach take-off speed you'll need alot of right toe brake and roght rudder.Don't know if I helped but good luck Charlie