Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

BEC or RX battey?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEC or RX battey?

I have a "RC smart" 60amp esc that has no bec built in , im guessing , because when I hooked everything up the RX never powered up (Spektrum AR6250) and the esc just went into a 3 beep pattern over an over. The esc voltage range is 6-30v also the esc instruction diagram shows seprate battery going to the receiver.
I had everything working after hooking a 4.8v nicad pack to the RX, My question is -

1) How much mAh does the rx pack need to run (4)Hitec HS-225MG servos? (54oz/in @ 4.8)

2)Would it be cheaper to buy a BEC to power the RX with the main battery, than say a 1800mAh 4.8v pack?

I am going to be running an Eflite power 32 motor and the batterys I have are a 4000mAh 25c/ 50C burst 14.8v and a 3300mAh 30C 11.1v
The 4.8v rx pack I have now is nicad 600 mAh, and its "old"
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Default RE: BEC or RX battey?

A Castle 10A stand alone BEC would be a simple solution.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 AM

I agree with Dr, Kiwi on the BEC.
But I should also add a warning to not fly your model with the AR6250 receiver. They have been recalled by Horizon (check their website), they will replace it with an AR6255.
The crash/failure rate with the AR6250 was awful. Don't risk your model for the cost of the postage and small inconvenience to mail your receiver to HH.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the help ! I went with the Castle BEC (10amp) , and maiden test flight went great . I could not wait to fly this plane any longer, and took the chance with that receiver but will be returning it asap.
I also had to use a battery that I already had since my 4000mAh have not arrived yet and got about 8 min out of my 2500mAh 14.8v . The manual that came with the plane had a warning about the BEC 's failing on the recommended "60 amp pro W/ switching bec" on hot days..... so I would say it worked out ok .
Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM

Helo RCU: I have a question about BEC/ESC. I have a twin motor airplane with two ATlas motors....two 20 amp esc, run by one3 cell, 2100 battery. Both ESC have Bec. Both have an off/on switch. Do I need both switches, and how do eliminate one of them???