Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless motor Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM
jjkirby
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless motor Grinding noise

Iv got a rimfire .32 motor and was swinging a master airscrew 3-blade 12x6 prop. On landing the last time i stalled the plane out and it fell nose first from about 6 feet in the air. When i got the motor home i hooked everything up and now have a grinding noise. Motor seems to operate with no problems and has plenty of power but has a grinding noise. Im now swinging a apc 12x6 2 blade but havent flow yet till i can figure out what it causing the noise. Im not sure if its a bent shaft or bad bearings or what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Brushless motor Grinding noise

Look for a couple of things. First find a air compressor and blow out the motor and bearings. Amazing what a noise in the dirt will store there. Turn the motor over by hand and look for any indication of bearing failure, or bent prop shaft. The magnets in some motors fall out easy, check. Replace the shaft if you see any wobble. Give the bearings a tiny drop of oil front and rear. Your rough spots should be gone. I have yet to kill one of these things beyond repair, so don' t chuck it. Am sure someone else will chime in and add to the obvious. For grins, check out the size prop you should be running. A 3 blade 12-6 or 2 blade for that matter is a lot of prop for a 32 anything. ENJOY
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
jjkirby
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks for the reply, the 12x6 APC prop was an electric prop and is in the recomended prop range. the 3-blade master airscrew might have been pushing it a little. I have taken the prop off and powered up the motor and when it barely spins i did notice a tiny amount of up and down movement on the prop shaft. When turning the motor by hand i do not feel anything bad about it. I can feel each magnent catch. I will try the suggestions with the bearings as suggested. Thanks guys
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
SLASH RACER