Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Swapping motors... Questions?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping motors... Questions?

I've got two Cessna 182's from different stores.
My new one has a 950kv motor with a 50a ESC but the ESC is acting up and the company is sending me a new one.
My old one which folded up a wing in mid flight and is just for parts now has a 800kv motor with a 25a ESC.

I'm wondering if I can power my new plane with the smaller 800kv motor? Not sure how big a difference that is?
Both planes are close to the same size/weight and the 800kv motor in my older Cessna had tons of power!! I would usually fly at half throttle or less.

I want to fly this sunday is why I'm thinking about this...
</p>
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Swapping motors... Questions?

Also... The Cessna with the bigger motor says 500 class. The other one does not say anything about the class its in.

Is there a specific motor size for a class of plane?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Here is the smaller motor that I want to fit in a 500 class plane.
This one is under the 550 class... http://www.hobbypartz.com/550broumow80.html

ALSO... the motor from the older wrecked Cessna spins a 12x9 prop. the newer one has a 10x6 three blade.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 PM

I have a great plane UCANDO3 D that came with a 370 gear reduction motor. When I hooked it up to the speed controller and throttle up it runs jerky for a few seconds and quits. IF I cycle the throttle and back up it runs jerky again and quits. I have an outrunner 400 and 450 motor that work great with my controller and I was wondering if I can use either one of these motors in place of the gear reduction motor? I am new to electric flying and don't know when you use a gear reduction motor and a regular direct drive type motor.
Pat