RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   05 electric = glow equivalent? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1038768-05-electric-%3D-glow-equivalent.html)

zoomzoooie 08-09-2003 04:48 AM

05 electric = glow equivalent?

I have several scale WWI and golden age biplane plans that call for 05 electric.
I have not turned to electric yet so I would like to know what would be the equivalent size glow motor that would give scale like performance.

ZZ

Greg Covey 08-09-2003 11:14 AM

Hi,

The so-called electric 05 motor, now known as a Speed 600 motor is similar in power to an OS MAX 10 or .10-size glow engine.

zoomzoooie 08-09-2003 06:07 PM

WOW! You have a large collection!

I was hoping that an 05 electric would be closer to .20-.25 glow.
So what they called the 05 Cobalt would equal to a speed 600? The 05 seems to be a larger motor. What about if it is geared with a 12"- 14" prop. Then would it be closer to .25 glow size? I have a Tamyia RS540 Black Sprint motor, with 7.2 volts and a
10x6 - 3 blade tornado prop, puts out much more thrust than a .10 glow. I thought this motor was about the same as an 05 because it is about the same size.
I have flown 36" .10 glow power planes but most of the plans I have are larger wingspans so I though they would be about a .25 glow size model.

ZZ

Greg Covey 08-10-2003 03:44 PM

Yes, you are exactly right. By gearing the 05 motor, you can convert the speed to thrust and have an effectively greater output.

Speed 600 motors can vary greatly in quality and power output. Anything that uses a Cobalt magnet vs. a ferrite magnet is more powerful and typically the external brush motors are more powerful than the canned motors.

An example would be the Graupner Speed 600 canned motor vs. the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem or Endoplasma motors. The Kyosho R/C car motors win hands down.

Matt Kirsch 08-11-2003 11:50 AM

zoomzoooie,

There's nothing stopping you from putting a larger glow engine on a plane. You can always throttle back. With the short-nosed WWI designs, it may even be desirable to have extra weight up front to make them balance properly. Just be sure to adequately beef up the airframe for the glow engine, or it will shake the plane to pieces.

zoomzoooie 08-11-2003 06:51 PM

Matt

I guess electric would add needed weight to the nose WWI aircraft, but I haven't gotten into electric yet and was asking what an 05 electric would be equivalent to in a glow engine.

Thanks for the info though.

ZZ