RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   What's up with my throttle control? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1187248-whats-up-my-throttle-control.html)

Flyboy1958 10-07-2003 07:47 PM

What's up with my throttle control?

I just put together a Spectra 2m sailplane and hooked everything up the way I think it is supposed to go. I have an Electrifly C-30 ESC and I think it's a T600 motor. Anyway, my first question is,with the lead coming out of the BAT side of the ESC, I plugged it into the BAT slot on the reciever, could't get the motor to start. It dawned on me that maybe I should have pluged it into #3 slot for throttle control. (I have a Futaba 9c) Am I right by what I have done so far? I don't have ailerons, just elevator and rudder. I moved the throttle control lever up and sure enough, the motor started up and the prop was spinning nicely.
It's after I power down, then start back up, I can't get my throttle to work again. Seems that after a minute or two, and don't ask me what I do, but then the throttle works again. It doesn't have a real steady RPM though, it seems to loose a little speed, then speed up then loose a little again and so on. It does this even when I throttle up slowly. Is this normal? or do I have some kind of a problem?
I'm not sure if my throttle trim has something to do with the throttle not working after I power up. My throttle trim is in the middle, neutral position, but when I mess with it and randomly flip switches around the throttle will work again. The ESC does have a brake on it, does this have something to do with my problem? HELP?

Matt Kirsch 10-08-2003 07:09 AM

RE: What's up with my throttle control?

You are correct; the speed control (ESC) needs to be plugged into channel 3 on the receiver. It's both the throttle servo and the receiver battery :) Technically, it don't really matter where the receiver battery is plugged in; all the + and all the - terminals are wired together inside the receiver.

There should be a red LED on the side of the speed control. When you first power up, it is on continuously. At this point, you need to ARM the speed control by moving to full throttle for four seconds. The LED should start to blink. Bring the throttle back to idle, and the LED will go out. Now you're ready to fly.

You can tell if the ESC is doing its job by watching the LED. At full throttle, the LED will be lit. That means the ESC is working. If the motor isn't doing anything, then you have a motor problem. BTDT.

Most likely, it's a burned or stuck brush. You can test this by flipping the prop with a screwdriver handle. BE CAREFUL though. The prop will start spinning at whatever throttle setting you're at. Don't use your finger, or you could be looking at it from a distance :( Have a helper hold the plane.

Is this a brand new motor? The brushes probably just need to be broken in some. Attach the bare motor to two D-cell alkalines and run it for a half-hour or so. You might need to flip the motor shaft to get it started. Keep an eye on it. If it stops, flip it and get it started again.

Flyboy1958 10-08-2003 09:43 AM

Thanks for the advise, it worked out perfect,just as you said. Can't wait to fly it now.

Grampaw 10-09-2003 02:36 AM

Matt and Flyboy, thanks for the posts, it cleared up my problems too! I logged on tonite to ask the same question about the same GR 600 setup. (it also applied to a 280 in a Wattage Mini-Max with a GR C-5 Nano that I was changing a receiver in for my Grandsons to play with.) Both of the motors had been run before but only the 280 had been flown, so I knew they were OK, but as with glow engines I figured it had to be that I was missing something! Plugged them into #3 and guess what? "Sometimes you feel like a nut!" goes the jingle...

Now one more query on the GP 600 motor. As I said it has never been flown, but has run on the bench several times. The original TX was a Futaba Attack 4 AM but I changed to a Tower System 3000 6FMV (Futaba). Once the motor was running I found I had a short throw on the throttle stick, ie when I come off full power with the stick the motor stops at the stick mid point, no matter where the trim lever is sitting. On the Attack TX I could go from full throttle to idle with the the full throw of the stick. There are adjustments on Elev. and Ail, but not on throttle, and there is no Dual Rate switch on this new model TX. Am I stuck with a "short" throttle stick throw or what? Any ideas?
Grampaw