RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   Super cobalt 400 motors (WattAge) + & - (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1214631-super-cobalt-400-motors-wattage.html)

LowAndSlow 10-20-2003 09:43 AM

Super cobalt 400 motors (WattAge) + & -

I have read some strongly negative threads about this motor falling apart or dying after a short life. I have one of these motors, blue can (I hear the first models were gold, then blue, now Yellow (can you tell these from gold?). The instructions gave a lengthy break in program using progressively larger props and increasing voltage for a lot of minutes. After reading the bad news, I broke-in mine following the instructions closely. For a while the motor ran erratically, but as the brushes wore in, smoothed out. now it puts out great power- at around 20 amps, and puts my geared speed 400's to shame. Anyone buying the WattAge planes with this motor included should break-in the motor for at least an hour with small prop and low voltage, and should have a great performer!

I'm currently flying a Kavan "Nashville" hotliner glider (74" WS, 29 oz., with 8 x 4.5 folding prop, 8 x KAN 1050 battery) with this motor, and it climbs steeply.

The latest MotoCalc program has this motor in its data bank, but does not give it as good a performance as I think it should, based on my experience. Assume the program is being very conservative with this motor.

sargentw 10-21-2003 11:05 AM

RE: Super cobalt 400 motors (WattAge) + & -

1 Attachment(s)
I broke my cobalt in using water. Then benched it in a vice and tested everything with an APC prop. I bought an extra set of brushes for the cobalt motor.

Here are my actual flying results. :)

Got a break yesterday afternoon and went down to my favorite place to fly over looking the Occoquan River, Va. The winds were around 6-8 mph, skies clear, and splashes of fall colors everywhere.

Did my preflight checks, 3 test glides, then let her rip. Wow! the power. It was Star Wars all the way to 1000ft. I cut the motor off and soared catching the head wind and lift blowing up off the river. I flew for about 15-20 minutes doing several very large loops and some serious dives. Opened up, the plane seems to climb at 60+ degrees. I brought her back in for a slow landing. No sign of heat damage or anything. You can see by the picture plenty of power left. The 2400 mah li-poly battery topped off with 1151 mah of juice.

Check out the pics.

1. Cobalt motor with plywood mount
2. External cooling holes.
3. Deans connectors
4. Graphite reinforced pillars
5. Rear wing bolt using extra nylon screw and wing bolt.
6. Hitec 555 receiver.
7. Electrify 30 amp esc.
8. Combat Wings reinforced packing tape.
9. 2400mah 2s2p lipoly battery.

These planes fly great! I would install ailerons but why not keep this plane simple. It packs up in its box and can go anywhere and flies great just like it is. I have a Sky Scooter Pro II that uses ailerons and alot of fun to fly. I'll get all the aileron I need when I finish building my Combat Wings Xe2 brushless. :)

Conclusion: With some thought and preparation the cobalt upgrade works. I really like flying the Terry.

Tad