RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   SIg Rascal motor question. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1235474-sig-rascal-motor-question.html)

Stanoo 10-28-2003 06:16 PM

SIg Rascal motor question.

I have done a search for the sig rascal and read all posts... this is the motor and pack I am considering
COMBO: PJS800E external rotor brushless motor + Jeti 18 Amp brushless controller

and a link [link]http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-combo-pjs.htm[/link]

Anybody have any thought on how that would do?

Also Do you guy have any links to some site that or how too.. for calculating thrust need for a particular weight etc batteries to use as you can tell I new to electrics....

Any help would be very appreciated thanks

Dr Kiwi 10-28-2003 07:49 PM

RE: SIg Rascal motor question.

Clearly most of the critical reports suggest that the Rascal's stock motor was inadequate for the purpose but your PSJ 800E will certainly be a dramatic improvement. You can go to MotoCalc (30-day free trial) or http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma.asp (free for ever) to get estimations of thrust with different props/batteries etc. As long as you realize that the accuracy of these predictions is a matter of considerable debate - they do provide something to look at.

Cheers, Phil

Stanoo 10-28-2003 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info!!

If you guys where trying to power the Sig Lil Rascal what would you fellas use?

Motor and controler? the plane is set up to mount a 400 size motor with a gear box which raises the propshaft up to where it needs to be I'm pretty sure I can modifiy the mount to accept the PJS 880 or 1000 to fit by adding a fire wall and still give it room to spin in there, but Im very open to suggestions I would like to see this plane go vertical and have enough power to take off in very short grass loop and roll.

Can it be done for say 175$ I have some 1100 8 cell Nimh packs I was planing on useing.....

Thanks in advance

Stano

Snowball1952 10-29-2003 03:40 AM

Great I just purchased the Sig Rascal electric. You say that it will not fly with the motor that they supply? I bought all the stuff they recommended. They say it was specifically designed for the speed 400. So now what do I do? I don't want to put it up and crash it right out the gate. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME? I alsways thought SIS was so good. I have had a few of there planes and I love them.

Dr Kiwi 10-29-2003 10:08 PM

As a possible quick and cheap fix to get the Rascal to fly with the stock motor, go up to a 4.1:1 gearbox and a larger prop - this should give you a lot more thrust than with the stock gearbox [is it 2.2:1????] and small prop. Also try to get rid of as much weight as possible - if you have lots of money, go to Lipoly batteries [but if you can afford them, you could put a brushless Razor in, and have no worries about getting the Rascal to fly!].

Cheers, Phil

Matt Kirsch 10-30-2003 07:32 AM

Don't panic! Seriously, one of the most "unlucky" pilots in my club can get the Rascal to fly on the stock motor system. It's the biggest patched-up, bashed-up plane you ever want to see, but when he gets the hand launch right and doesn't overcontrol on the elevator, the plane is a nice little flier. He gets up around 400' and floats around for 10 minutes or more on NiCds.

This rumor that it doesn't fly on the stock power system is pure BS. Of course it won't hang on the prop or climb straight up, but this is a RASCAL fer cryin' out loud! What do you want?!?! ;) Definitely run 8 cells on the battery, and use light radio components. If it's the kit, build light. Don't gob on the glue, don't use regular Monokote/Ultracote. Sand sand sand sand and sand some more. Get the balance right, and keep the elevator throw down. Set the gear lash properly by sandwiching a strip of printer paper in between the gears, pushing them together snugly, tightening the motor down, then removing the paper. You can waste a lot of power in that gearbox if you don't set it up properly.

pikebishop 10-30-2003 04:53 PM

speed 480 bb race on 8/1100 he cell does nicely apc 9/6 thin electric with slightly modified 3/1 gearbox from greatplanes. oh yeah the stock setup works fine and will rog off of anything smooth off of eight cells.

laryboy 11-02-2003 08:24 PM

i have a rascal and i finely got it to fly. plane appeared to be under powered but the real fault was it was way out of balance. moved battery 3 inches forwad and she fly ok. a little hairy if elavator is over controlled. i also observed that when i pulled power off to about 1/2 power the plane began to climb beautifully.plane will not fly good at full power. still working on that.

narpets 11-03-2003 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch
This rumor that it doesn't fly on the stock power system is pure BS. Of course it won't hang on the prop or climb straight up, but this is a RASCAL fer cryin' out loud! What do you want?!?! ;)
Couldn't agree with this more. We just had a discussion at our field about this exact thing this weekend. A guy wanted to get one, but heard they don't fly. I have one with the stock set up. I ran it for a while on 8 older 1000 mah NMH cells. A whopping 37watts of power (or lack there of). It would ROG and putter around for about 11 minutes. I switched to 7 600mah NiCad cells., and draw about 78 watts ( I forget the exact number, but it was a lot more than with the Nmh cells) With this pack it climbs rather brisky, and I get about 12 minute of touch and gos or just general putting around. I also tried a buddies 8 cell pack (same cells) and it's a toss up for me on which is better, but for the way I like to fly the thing, the lighter 7 cells seems to be best.
As MAtt said, it is a Rascal after all. If I want to hover @ 1/2 throttle I fly my E3D. If I want to just putter around and enjoy a really nice looking/flying plan as it putts on by, I fly the RAscal.

I have to say the all metal gear box is a pice of junk though. It makes more noise than most glow engines, and is really clunky. I'm looking at getting a better GB for it. Will probably go for one of those $11 Hobby Lobby ones.

Stanoo 11-04-2003 09:25 AM

Its a Rascal for crying out loud :::::sigh:::::

Let me try and post a few pics!!

http://www.duckboats.net/upload/DSC00034.JPG
http://www.duckboats.net/upload/DSC00035.JPG

Man what a difference the plane was in perfect balance the first try right on the spar! I did somthing pretty stupid just a few min ago :::sigh::: I was rc car'in up and down the street when I decided to try the wing heh its been it the air for about 30 feet 3 foot of the ground throttled back and it settled right back down ::sheeesh:::: that was scary!!! those little motors are awsome can't wait to fly it.....the spec say it will turn 11" prop that was a 9/6 slow fly and it will just about hold itself vertical...well way over powered but I like the reserve and should have nice long flights at 1/4 throttle.... I did add just alittle right thrust and I can add some down with shims if I need it. Those little motors are spooky the whistle they make is very cool heh..

I have to say the PSJ 800 is a pretty nice fit in cowl I will let ya know how she fly's!!!

Stano

john 8750 11-21-2003 10:50 PM

Stan--- I have a Lil Rascal I built from old Top Flight plans. 27" span, the lightest rc gear, 1/2 oz. 250 ma. Li Poly battery, the smallest GWS motor with 4 to 1 gears and a 5030 prop. Flying weight is 4.34 oz. Flyes like a baby for about 6 mins. per charge. I love it. Good luck with yours!
John Smith in the LA area.

vikram 12-29-2003 02:23 PM

I just finished building the SIG rascal electric ARF and flew it today . I used the stock motor , gear box , APC 8*6 prop and 7 Cell (8.4v) 600mah Flat Pack with AE Size Cells . Since I was flying off grass , I couldn't achieve a r.o.g , so went for a hand launch . The plane flew beautifully . I enjoyed the way it floated around . The default trim of the model was perfect . Just release the sticks and the plane flies straight and level in beautiful free flight ! After 6 minutes of flying I shut the motor off and the plane glided down beautifully. I loved the pleasant flying characteristics of the plane .

john 8750 12-29-2003 04:26 PM

Thanks for sharing your Rascal first flight. I have been flying Rascals for almost 40 years.
The free flight's were just plain beautiful in the 60's.
I just built a 36" Rascal, all balsa with 4/1 IPS motor, 7043 prop, all micro gear, 9 oz all up weight with a 1200 mah e-tech. I expect it to fly good.
Keep up with all of us Rascal people.

pettit 12-30-2003 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 Electric Rascals flying, one with 1050 mah NiMH 7 cell packs, the other with 1050 and 2100 2S LiPo packs.

The best prop for both seems to be an APC 9-6 Slow Flier.

A pure joy to fly, but watch the high winds (more than 5 - 10 MPH)

JClinard 01-15-2004 06:35 PM

I've been flying my Rascal with a PJS500 for about 6 months now and am VERY happy with it. If you plan on putting a PJS800 in yours, Hang On! I flew the Speed400 for as long as I could take it, with an 8 cell 600ma NiCD and it was marginal at best. Could not ROG at our club's grass field. With the 500, it jumps off the ground after a short roll. I can get 25 minutes on an 8 cell 1700ma NiMH now no problem. I also just put an AXI 220826 in the nose of my Li'l Rascal after a disappointing first flight on it's stock powerplant, but haven't had the chance to fly it again yet. Oh, and I also fly a .40 size Rascal with a Phasor 45/3 in the nose as well. Just love them Rascals!

vikram 02-02-2004 02:34 AM

I have done further flights with my Sig Rascal Electric ARF (49 inch wingspan , 23 ounces weight ) with the stock power system -- speed 400 motor , 7 Cell NiCd AE pack(8.4v, 600mah) and alternatively with a 2 cell Li Poly pack (7.2v,1400mah) . I have found that in slightly windy conditions ( 4mph ) , the power becomes inadequate. When flying upwind , the plane quickly stalled and crashed (with significant but repairable damage).

Any suggestions for an alternate power system which would enable a smooth r.o.g from a grass surface.

Snowball1952 03-24-2004 04:06 PM

I want to thank you all for your input.The weather is finally getting were I can try to fly my Rascal. I see a lot of people say the mah of there packs, but not the size (AA,2/3,Sub-C) I have a bunch of 2/3A 1100 mah HiMH. I made up a 7 cell and an 8 cell pack. Will these work ok? It is still the stock motor (spent some money for a foamy). I also have a 7.4 V 2200 mah Li-Poly? Which or any of this would you now say be the best way to go? should I just what until I can get a better setup? I am confused. I can't remember who I asked for help before and all my notes are gone. Thanks Folks.

vikram 03-26-2004 03:19 PM

I am not familiar with the 2/3 A cells . Would they not be too heavy for the Rascal ? The weight of my8.4V 7 Cell NiCd AE pack seems like 6 ounces and the weight of my 1500mah 7.4V Li-Poly pack pack is something like 3 ounces . My NiCd pack gives higher propeller speed as compared to the LiPoly pack due to its higher Voltage . I prefer my NiCd pack due to its higer voltage and resultant higher propeller speed .

When I flew the rascal with my 7.4v 1500mah Li-Poly , I launched the model firmly and maintained a shallow glide till the model caught on with speed . Then I started to give it a shallow climb. Giving it a steep climb would stall it . A 7.4V 2200 mah Li-Poly may result in similar flight characteristics.

loumorales 05-12-2004 03:29 PM

I also have a 400 Rascal that I placed an Astro 020 brushless and lipo batteries in. Fits great and loops are no problem. I'm finishing a Rascal 40 and have a Phasor 45/3 I plan to install. Have you flown yours yet and can it do "soft" aerobatics?

loumorales 05-12-2004 03:32 PM

I don't know if my last reply got there so here goes again; Have you flown your 040 Rascal witrh the 45/3 yet? I'm doing exactly the same thing. Prop Size?

loumorales 06-01-2004 02:15 PM

I have a rascal .40 with a phasor 45/3 I haven't flown. What prop should I use?