RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   Prop Expert? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1505297-prop-expert.html)

lwatson 02-07-2004 10:26 AM

Prop Expert?

I was reading a thread on this forum by someone with a thrust stand, who was testing various props for effectiveness. I was wondering what Brands seem to be working best. It may matter what type of flying, so let me qualify this question with saying I am flying 300 size motors and want strong arrobatic if not vertical performance.

I have used the:

GWS series 10 X 8
GWS 10X4.7
APC 10X4.5 Slow Flyer
APC 10X7 Slow Flyer
APC 10X5 E Series

Obviously some have more punch than others, but I really don't have the setup to measure them. Someone made the comment that at the same amps they where getting more thrust with the GWS? True, False, Sometimes?

It seems the 3D guys like to go with GWS gears and props.

I also notice the APC E Series has more pitch closer in to center with more taper than the APC Slow Flyer series. What is trying to be accomplished?

There is also quite a weight disadvantage to the APC props, but they are defintely better looking.

Are there other brands that I should try?

So many questions, but I know you guys know the answers.

Thanks,
Larry

crashingagain 02-07-2004 01:43 PM

RE: Prop Expert?

The apc props are heavier and they dont have any give when you crash. Gws props will shed the blades instead of busting up your gear box(usually). Some aplications will require apc prop because the gws prop wont be able to handle the load. I make my gws props prettier by painting them black with a sharpie.
You could use the apc with a propsaver also

Dr Kiwi 02-07-2004 03:30 PM

Now this is a very simplistic answer to a very complex question, since I do not have exactly comparable data for all those props you mention. My feeling is that in terms of "efficiency" measured as "grams (oz) of thrust per watt-in", for Park Flyer type aircraft, the GWS HD props seem to be the best, followed by the GWS RS, then the APC SF, then the APC E. This is not to say, that HD's are best in every application, since the APC SF's, particularly, can get you a lot of thrust when you need it [at the cost of higher current]. The GWS RS are good for IPS motors, but are too flimsy for my liking for much above that; because of that I wouldn't use them on B/L motors [also, in part, because it is hard to fit them using an adapter]. The APC E's come into their own at higher rpm (APC SF are only recommended for below 65000/diameter rpm).

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Phil

lwatson 02-10-2004 01:00 PM

I was not aware that GWS makes a HD series. What does that stand for? Are they the ones they ship in the airplane kits. (P-51. etc)

airraptor 02-14-2004 09:58 PM

do not base your prop selection on thrust measure ments. in the air it will be different. what should be done is to do a prop thust measurement in a air flow near the airplanes flight speed

Dr Kiwi 02-14-2004 10:40 PM

Airraptor - I agree that static thrust measurements have limited use, but the info they do provide is better than none at all - your suggestion for measuring in-flight thrust is perfectly correct - but I personally do not have my own wind-tunnel and the several million $$$$ equipment needed to take such measurements. If static thrust can indicate what might be a possibility, and what clearly will be a failure, then that's good enough for me for the moment.

Iwatson - HD, in typical advertising jargon, stands for "hyper-drive". They are the direct drive series of props produced by GWS - the smaller ones were certainly all for DD use but the recent additions {of 8x4 through 11x8} lend themselves to geared applications.

Cheers, Phil

halfmoon129 02-16-2004 05:29 PM

yo,

I have a 300 motor, an ICS 100 ESC, and a 8.4v 730 mah battery. Should I use a 1080 propeller or will it pull too many amps.? People say I should try a 9070, should I? If I want more thrust than should I use a 1080 but get a better ESC to handle the amps?