RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   PHX-Link Interface - The good and the bad (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1663626-phx-link-interface-good-bad.html)

d_wheel 03-26-2004 09:59 PM

PHX-Link Interface - The good and the bad

My Interface arrived today, and I downloaded the software about an hour ago. I am happy to announce that it works (the good news).

I have 5 Castle Controllers and it only recognizes 1 of them (the bad news). I am confused, because they all should be new enough to be used with the programmer. Also, I only use the BEC on one of my controllers, so had to reconnect the power wire on all of the others to try it out (more bad news).

My first impressions are mixed. I can see where this is a greatly improved way of programming my controllers, but am disappointed that I will have to return 4 of them to Castle in order to use it.

Later;

D.W.

Flyright 04-10-2004 09:19 PM

RE: PHX-Link Interface - The good and the bad

I'm having similar problems with my Phoenix 10 & the PHX-Link. Both purchased new a couple of weeks ago. Seems like I can program the esc manually( once I figure that out) but the software doesn't give me any esc's to select from. The LEDS on the link board and esc all work correctly and the computer plays it's tune when I connect and disconnect the USB cable. I've got an email in to Castle for help.

funflyer74 04-11-2004 12:49 AM

PHX-Link Interface - The good and the bad

My problem is Of a whole different matter. I have mine working but not all the way the PHX-LINK automatically installed a update into my Phoenix-45 and now it will not throttle up to more than 1/3 throttle I have been e-mailing the support at Castle sense Thursdays morning with no replies as of this time. I was just wondering if Anyone else has had the same problem. I am using this on a Voyager Electric with a Astro 020 brushless. I had my speed controller update back in end of Feb 2004. It is suppose to be up to date![sm=thumbdown.gif]I like the way you can change things in a snap compared to the throttle stick programing that take for ever if you mess up even longer.

Flyright,
I had the same problem trying to program it with the Throttle stick It would not work at first but I kept trying and it finally did.

When you first turn on the control or plug in the battery you need to have you throttle stick in the middle. After you hear the power up beep the push it up and leave it there for a couple of seconds longer then you usually would. If it dosen't then pull it back to center. That is what I did. That is how I got mine to work. I reprogrammed it twice, still with no luck has to be the update. If this dose not work then I don't know what else to try. You will be stuck just like I am! Waiting for a Reply![sm=confused.gif]

ScYcS 04-11-2004 09:33 AM

I'm holding off with buying it. Actually, thinking about it, it is not that bad to manually program it either.

I wanted to buy it, but i have to say, mostly my gear is not accessible in my planes (buried in foam mostly) and programming could only occur once per controller or when i decide to rip my plane apart.....

well, $23.95 saved i guess.

Flyright 04-11-2004 07:50 PM

There is a thread over on ezone about the PHX links. Some good some bad feedback. Looks to me like they're still working some of the bugs out. The Phoenix 10 seems to be the one with the most programming problems ( boy am I lucky!).

ScYcS - My controller is buried in the plane as well. The LEDs have enough intensity though to show through the foam!

ScYcS 04-12-2004 10:36 AM

I might be able to see the lights but how do i hook it up when it's buried??? :D

jack p 04-12-2004 02:18 PM

Keep trying to plug in your ESC if it does not accept it. I had to try several times on my 60 and muct have tried at least 50 times on my 10 micro before it finally took it. I think it might update any and all ESC's the first time one is hooked up.

Flyright 04-13-2004 08:38 PM

Talked to Shawn at CC today. Looks like my problem was due to the link's drivers not being loaded . After loading the drivers, everything worked perfectly! Guess I'm a happy camper now. Might be nice if CC had a problem FAQ section that includes more trouble shooting.

ScYcS, as far as buried speed controls, the link connects with the connector that plugs into your receiver. I guess if your receiver is buried too your going to have problems. If you can access it, the link works well ( once you get it working that is).

funflyer74 04-13-2004 09:19 PM

I have good news the the update is posted at [link=http://www.castlecreations.com]Castles[/link] web site under downloads. My Phoenix-45 is working perfectly now that I have install the new PHX-LINK program, and updated my Phoenix-45. It just posted a few minutes ago. MY controller had a over current protection problem all I had to do is disable the over current protection to get it to work with the old version PHX-LINK program. I would not advise doing this unless you know that Your motor will not draw to much current and cause the controller to burn out.

I hope that everyone is as happy as I am, But not everyone probably will be.
Sorry for that [link=http://www.castlecreations.com]Castle[/link] will get it fix soon. Then you will be very happy with it. I will by more Phoenix controllers now!
I really like them and this new feature. Hope Castle keeps up the good work!

I would recommend anyone who is looking to get in to brushless electric to Buy [link=http://www.castlecreations.com]Castles Phoenix line of Brushless [/link] controllers! [link=http://www.castlecreations.com][sm=thumbup.gif][/link]

Happy flying !!!:D

crewchief_432 04-13-2004 09:42 PM

another thing to check is the reciver wire connector on the linx, I hade some of the same problemes you guys had and it ended up being a bad plug on the linx. I soldered a new one on and it works fine now.

Shawn-Palmer 04-21-2004 10:30 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm a little late here I suppose, but it's been nuts around here with trade show season, and new product releases swamping everyone.

If anyone is having issues w/the Phx-Link, or ANY Castle product - feel free to email or shoot me a call. We will get you fixed and happy, whatever it takes.

Thanks for the kind words funflyer74 - that's much apopreciated!

Thanks,
Shawn Palmer
Marketing/Support Mgr.
Castle Creations
[email protected]
785-883-4519 direct ex115

Matt Kirsch 04-22-2004 07:41 AM

A bit of advice when dealing with a company via email: Don't carpet bomb them with emails because you don't get a response IMMEDIATELY. Companies like Castle get hundreds of emails a day, and the only fair thing they can do is answer them in the order they were received, as fast as humanly possible. If you don't get a response within a couple of days, then perhaps it might be a good idea to use the phone line for that which it was originally intended. In other words, give the company a call, and explain your concern in a calm, rational, friendly manner.

Castle in particular has an excellent history of making things right with the customer, but during the busy times of the year, it can take a little while. That's why we have more than one plane, right?