RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   Help windy crash caused problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1696789-help-windy-crash-caused-problems.html)

iphands 04-06-2004 03:29 PM

Help windy crash caused problems

Hello first off i wanna say that i am new to the r/c community and thanks for any help.... well i have a accipiter badius plane (to my suprise it is actually a pretty tough plane) well it's been windy here in louisiana for about a week and i've been flying every day today; however, the wind was rather strong well i had been flying for about 10 mins and had gotten up pretty high when i lost it in the wind and did a nose dive. Like i said before i've crashed this thing very bad before and it is very tough for foam, but now at full throttle the engine spins very erratic. it speeds up and slows down randomly very fast (almost choppy)[:o]. its not the prop, i don't think it is the engine it's either the crystal, the receiver or the speed controller. can any one help me find out which one is the problem.. Thanks and sorry for the rant

edit: ahh i have no idea what the problem is the motors capacitors were damaged so could they be causing interference ? the servos work fine but they sometimes are jumpy and it seems that they act funny when the motor is on too. ahhhh i don't know which part to order...

cmcnall 04-17-2004 09:44 PM

RE: Help windy crash caused problems

I am having the same exact problem right now. if anybody found a solution i would greatly apprechiate it. i did replace the speed control capacitor and it didn't fix the problem. hope i can fly again soon.

Matt Kirsch 04-19-2004 09:06 AM

You're going to have to start somewhere, so start with the most obviously broken pieces first. There's no one universal part that always breaks on every plane in every crash that causes every problem.

The motor is obviously damaged, so replace it first. Broken, or damaged capacitors on the motor will cause interference issues, namely twitching and other random behaviour.

Between us not being able to inspect the plane, and the fact that your description is little more than, "I crashed, now the plane doesn't work right," you're not going to get a whole lot of help. I mean, it's a tough problem to solve, but at least it's not an impossible one. Good luck.

Wayne Miller 04-19-2004 09:32 AM

Hi Iphands,

Without seeing the plane and equipment it is a little hard to troubleshoot. However, what I keyed on was the eratic motor.

To test the motor, just apply the battery voltage directly to the motor and by pass the speed control. if the motor is stable, then chances are it is the ESC (electric speed control).

If you think it is the throttle control on the reciever, then plug a straight through "Y" harness into the throttle channel. The "Y" harness is a wire cable with one reciever end and two servo ends, you can purchase this from local hobby shop. Make sure the cable is a cheap "straight through" and does not have a "filter". After plugging this in the throttle channel of the reciever. Plug your batteries into one end of the "Y" harness and a servo in the other end of the "Y" harness. Then move your throttle control, if the servo moves smoothly and does not chatter. Then the reciever's throttle channel is OK. An alternative to the above, would be to test your reciever with another plane/motor - perhaps another flyer's.

If the above works, then the problem is most likely the ESC.

My guess would be that it is a motor problem, most likely the motor brushes, or a capacitor that may be partially shorting to the case. I think the first step would be to replace the motor and/or capacitors.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller

iamyourgod 04-22-2004 09:39 PM

RE: I think I killed mt motor (in reply to Newberry-RCU) Report This Post | (Post No. 23)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I ran my Slope Diver through three batteries one right after the other and I think I killed my motor. Running it without letting it cool off in between was probably a big mistake. Now the motor will not run at a constant speed. It acts like a loose connection but all the connections are fine. I think I cooked the motor. I'll have to take the motor off and see if there is a constant steady voltage on the wires to make sure.

So just a warning.... let them cool off before the next run!

Always have extra parts ready.

NCQ3 04-23-2004 06:03 PM

check motor first. it also might be your esc.