RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   failed Park 370 E-Flight 1080 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/3285917-failed-park-370-e-flight-1080-a.html)

mblue2050 08-21-2005 11:17 PM

failed Park 370 E-Flight 1080

1 Attachment(s)
E-flight 370 1080 flown attached to a Flatana for less than 3 hours total. 10 x 3.8 prop, Phoenix 10, 640 li-po 11.1

Engine never hit anything. No prop saver and no broken props. Flying level when this happened.

Plane more or less stopped in the air and went into a stall induced tumble to the ground.

I thought the motor had come loose from the fuse. I noticed a part go bouncing 50 feet away, it took a divit.
Turns out the motor separated from the back.
Hard to explain, easy to show.

Sorry for the lousy pics.

INeedHelp 08-21-2005 11:26 PM

RE: failed Park 370 E-Flight 1080

I have seen and heard of this with several of the E-Flights that is why I use the Himax. You may want to contact them and see if they will replace it for you.

Don't know why they do this it seems they just fall apart in flight the times I hae seen it happen.

mblue2050 08-21-2005 11:30 PM

Sad to say I have seen more post regarding this failure on the Himax outrunner.
Some have tried thread lock of all the colors. Some have mentioned a dab of epoxy. I have not seen the epoxy idea follow up as to whether that worked or not. Threadlock did not work.

You can bet they will be replacing it if not refunding for this peice of crap. Its not a week old.

Cheers
Michael

INeedHelp 08-22-2005 06:33 PM

Really, I fly with a group of guys with about a fifty/fifty mix and I have yet to see a Himax do that,

Guess I will be soon though.

microsprint9 08-23-2005 07:54 AM

I know how you feel, i had the same thing happen to my park 400 outrunner. I spent the money to go brushless and bought a park 400 motor and ran it in a gws gearbox, the shaft broke in no time, waited for a month for a replacement part ( which my LHS was goin to replace free of charge ), it never showed up so he offered me a new motor, but he had no park 400's instock, so i spent the extra $15 to get the outrunner, only got about 10 flights on it before it came apart, i did break a shaft on it though and had replaced it, it might have had a burr on it when i replaced it which might have loosened the rear and caused the seperation but now i think i'll go back to the gws350 so cheap and reliable.

mblue2050 08-23-2005 09:04 AM

Talked to Horizon Rep Dave on the phone yesterday.
Told him what happened and asked if I buy another is there anything I could do to prevent the failure.
Informed me the motor does not come apart...."mine did".....we have no problems with that motor!..."have you flown that motor"...no, but I know we do not have that problem!

E-mail response was fiendly and they are going to replace it. I asked for my money back since I do not want another after that quick failure. Ha, I know but doesn't hurt to ask.

Just reporting what I read on the Himax. I know nothing about them.