RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   Motor/esc/Prop (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/4907717-motor-esc-prop.html)

joe0490 10-24-2006 05:26 AM

Motor/esc/Prop

Hi all:
I am new at all this and you all are my only place to get info. Can anyone tell me if there is a chart that tell one what combination should be together as far as Motor/ ESC/ Prop .
I know the type aircraft and its weight all play a part also. Just in the ballpark would be very helpful. Say I have a 400 motor and a ESC to run 12 amps how do I know what size prop to start with,and would a folding prop be the same size? Another example would be a plane that weight is 28oz would need what motor and what prop?I would think such a chart would exist someplace.

Fliprob17 10-24-2006 10:39 AM

RE: Motor/esc/Prop

I have never seen a chart that puts them all together like that. There are prop recommendations that come or go with certain motors. The big factor in selecting is the actual plane, and what it is intended to do or what you want it to do. Then you can start going from there. Generally I pick the motor and work towards the ESC and prop.

On the 400 motor and 12 amp ESC again it depends on the plane and what it's characteristics are. Could be anywhere from a 5" prop to a 9" prop. A pusher or a puller..........

joe0490 10-25-2006 04:55 AM

I gess I was looking for a easy way out. Ha Ha. I guess I will learn in time what goes with what.I was in glows for 40 yrs but don't have a clue about electric flight. Just loaded up a GL but have not taken her out yet. It seems quite heavy to me. The next nice day we will see.Thanks for the info.
Joe B

Dr Kiwi 10-25-2006 04:19 PM

The very best thing you can do is download Motocalc and play with it for 30-days free!

What is a GL? Let us know and we can suggest the right prop (gearing if needed) etc for the application. Is that a standard 6v Speed 400 brushed motor you are talking about?

joe0490 10-25-2006 06:28 PM

Sorry, That would be a Gentle Lady Gilder. I have a 400 on it with 9.6v,esc up to12 amp.
I will be using a folding prop.

Fliprob17 10-26-2006 10:00 AM

I have a SPEED 480 motor in my Cessna running direct drive with a 8x4E prop and it is pulling 18 amps. So I would venture a guess that your 400 motor, if it is direct drive with no gearbox, should be around a 7x4, 7x5, or maybe at the most an 8x4 to be around 12 amps.

Dr Kiwi 10-29-2006 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

I have a SPEED 480 motor in my Cessna running direct drive with a 8x4E prop and it is pulling 18 amps. So I would venture a guess that your 400 motor, if it is direct drive with no gearbox, should be around a 7x4, 7x5, or maybe at the most an 8x4 to be around 12 amps.
Whoa, no! A Direct Drive 7.2v 400 is limited to about a 6x3 - and that pulls 10A on 8-cells and more than 12A on 3s.
A 6v 400 with a 6x3 on 8-cells pulls more than 14A, and on 3s pulls 18A (for a few nanoseconds)!
A 4"-5" prop is about it, depending on which 400 you have and how many cells you're using.

Fliprob17 10-30-2006 11:59 AM

Do you have a wattmeter or a voltmeter or powermeter? The best way to get your system dialed in, and to be sure you have the right prop to max out your performance is to grab your box of props, or get several sizes and start testing the amp draw. On a folding prop for a glider, not keeping it at full throttle for more than say 15-20 seconds, then coasting it up at around 75% throttle or so, I would think a SPEED 400 motor could turn a 7x3 folding without smoking things [:-] Here is a link to the manufacturer for the SPEED 480 motor I have, http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm they recommend from a 5x4 to a 6x4 depending on the motor and usage. You can generally drop a number on the pitch to get a longer length prop. So there is a chance that you may be ok with a 7x3. If you wanna play it safe try the 6x4 or 6x3 first, then go from there based on the amps it is pulling.