RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   thunderbird 9 NiMH/NiCD Cutoffs (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/4969526-thunderbird-9-nimh-nicd-cutoffs.html)

Truglodite 11-08-2006 05:02 AM

thunderbird 9 NiMH/NiCD Cutoffs

i'm using a new castle creations thunderbird 9 esc to drive the tail rotor motor on my esky honeybee cp2 helicopter, which uses 3S lipos. i have a cutoff on my main motor esc set at the max cutoff at 9V for safety, but my tail esc still cuts off first. this is a major issue, as i have to piro in every time i fly too long. i have the tail esc programmed with defaults (lipo, which means the cutoff is also 9V), but i'm afraid to play with the cutoff if it means i'll piro in harder.

what would the cutoff be if i programmed the tbird 9 to NiCD/NiMH mode instead of lipo? would it cutoff lower than 9V if i'm using a 3S lipo?

i'm tempted to just buy a phoenix 10, but that would add weight and the t-bird 9 works fine if i can get it to stop cutting off.

Fliprob17 11-08-2006 10:47 AM

RE: thunderbird 9 NiMH/NiCD Cutoffs

I believe if you set it for NiMh's it would be 3 or 4 volts. It will definitely cutoff lower than 9 volts. Maybe just go through the programming steps one more time and make sure everything is good??? Or maybe the tail motor is drawing too much?? Therefore killing the battery quicker. Does the tail ESC get hot?

Truglodite 11-08-2006 03:13 PM

RE: thunderbird 9 NiMH/NiCD Cutoffs

thanks fliprob17, t-bird9's cutoff around 3-4V in Ni-XX mode, which works for me. that's exactly what i needed to know.

btw, i guess i should've been more clear about my setup when i first posted. both esc's are connected to the same battery. the main motor system is a Coolrunning H-25 esc mated to a Himax 2015 4100kV, with an 8T pinion. the main esc & motor barely get warm. the tail system consists of a CC T-Bird 9 esc mated to a Feigao 12mm 5300kV turning a GWS 4030 prop which i cut to 3" diameter. i know the full length 4030 was to much prop since the feigao felt too hot from just 1 min of bench testing. after i cut the prop, the motor and esc run very cool.

i know i have both of my power systems runnning reasonably efficient now, and also that the tail esc does not draw much more than 2A unless i'm getting crazy with the heli and the gyro asks for full tail power. i'm getting 15min flights out of my 1320 mAh pack, which is solid for even low powered non-brushless setups on this heli.

the problem is since both esc's are hooked to the same battery, i need to make sure the tail esc doesn't cutoff before the main esc does. this way my "voltage cutoff landings" are much more controllable. once i reprogram the cutoff mode, my problem should disappear.

thanks again!