RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   cheap motor from wally world? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/981463-cheap-motor-wally-world.html)

kickitonetime 07-23-2003 02:52 AM

cheap motor from wally world?

Hey people, I was wondering if anyone knew of a toy/gadget from walmart that has a decent 280 size motor in it. I'm using it for a cox free-flight/park-flyer conversion so it needs to be fairly light. I know I can order them all over, I just hate waiting for mail. I'd like to keep the cost < $20. Thanks!

Wingman33 07-23-2003 08:14 PM

Disposable Crest electric tooth brushes.Hey you said cheap I knowthis from my firebird days.

kickitonetime 07-24-2003 12:00 AM

Aww thats perfect! I never woulda thought of that one. But can they handle 8.4 volts?

Matt Kirsch 07-24-2003 11:47 AM

A 280 motor is a 280 motor. The motor in the toothbrush is identical to the motor in your plane.

Technically, no 280 motor can handle 8.4V, but we do it anyway. :)

Wingman33 07-24-2003 03:11 PM

Dido.

kickitonetime 07-24-2003 11:50 PM

lol! Well I installed it and let me tell ya, the thing flies like a dream! ANything over about 8mph wind and the 21" wingspan gets tossed and controlling becomes a bit hairy. Climbs nicely now and can even do some decent loops. With my 2 cell 560 pack she flies for over 15 minutes too without hardly getting the motor warm :) . Its practically stall proof and I can just about walk next to it if its flying into a breeze.
I've had a couple of successful landings since the swap as well, but the crashes still far outweigh them. Good thing its so light and durable!
Thanks for the recommendation! :)
KIOT

Wingman33 07-25-2003 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool . My trials with the 280 motors .was that the best props for a pusher was these little props with a little styro spinner on them they have a good pitch and are a hair smaller so more speed . have fun. th are like a buck he also has some good cheap 280 motors. belive it or not their are differnt winds (2) I think If you open them up. I have. 40 turns and 30 turns I think these were the 40 turn

Wingman33 07-25-2003 03:23 PM

Sorry (Toytronicks.com)

kickitonetime 07-26-2003 02:17 AM

thanks for the prop help but I dont need a pusher prop, I've got a cox sky cruiser cessna converted to a parkflyer. the 4x2 props that came with the plane seem to work relatively well.

Wingman33 07-26-2003 05:09 PM

cool.

kickitonetime 07-28-2003 12:01 AM

ok...

well, I bought another sky cruiser to attempt this all again. The old one was getting a bit battered and heavy. Unfortunately, I burned out the last motor I had, and I also already burned out the motor that came in the plane also.
I'm slightly concerned because I'm pretty sure that the motor that came in the plane is the same kind that I'm getting out of the crest toothbrushes, and I don't want to just keep burning them out. The problem is that the brushes used on these little guys are literally brushes of wire, which burn quick at 8.4 volts. Anyone have any suggestions? I figure the plane weighs 4-5 ounces all-up, but I don't have a scale, so the motor needs to be light. I've heard of people using gws dx-a motors direct drive, but I fear that those would give too much thrust. I'd also like to steer clear of gearboxes if I can.

kickitonetime 07-28-2003 03:25 AM

ok, I've done some more research and I think a motor like the johnson 250 from electronic goldmine is something more along the lines of what I need. I tried a different brand name toothbrush that had a different motor in it but it was a bit to heavy duty. Does another gadget exist with a similar motor? :)