Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

PUlling my hair out! Fairly new Fuelie 26 won't start.. :(

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

PUlling my hair out! Fairly new Fuelie 26 won't start.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 PM
phreaktor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PUlling my hair out! Fairly new Fuelie 26 won't start.. :(

OK I have read every engine sticky on every forum and exhausted every checklist within the scope of my knowledge. Now it's time to ask for help.

I got this Baja 5b used a week ago and I have been trying to start it ever since. Day one I got it to idle for about 10 seconds and it died. Here is what I have done so far:
[*]New spark plug gapped to .020[*]Brand new fuel and oil[*]Deflooded the engine and left open overnight[*]made sure it is getting spark[*]Squirted a tiny bit of fuel directly in the cylinder and tried to start it[*]Tested the stock kill switch and it works fine[*]Check carb, air filter, and exhaust for tightness

Now a couple questions-

The top of the piston looks pretty cruddy and I got a bit of gunk off it by reaching the the spark plug hole with a wooden swab end and doing a ight scrape. Should I pull the cylinder head and clean the piston? If so with what? WD40? Carb cleaner?

When I was deflooding the engine, very, very little fuel came out. Even when I choked the motor with the plug out, purposely trying to get fuel to show and then deflooded it, almost nothing came out.

I traded my beloved Ofna Ultra GTP for this and $300 understanding that it ony has about 7 or 8 tanks through it. I really want to get this thing running. Can any of you gurus make suggestions? [&o]
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 PM
papy_yosh

Default RE: PUlling my hair out! Fairly new Fuelie 26 won't start.. :(

You Should check your carb. you should have seen more fuel coming out.
Check if the diffuser isn't plugged. I'll take the full carb apart and check for any gunk orparticle.
Do you have any compression when starting it?
Let us know.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM
phreaktor

Plenty of compression ans the pullstart will pick the wheel up off the ground and there is a nice "pop". When you say "diffuser" do you mean filter as in the clunk filter in the tank? I guess the easiest thing to do would be to pull the carb. It's just frustrating because I didn't expect to be breaking this car down when I expected to receive a running Baja.

I'll keep this thread updated for future noob reference, lol...
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you try to start it, you have the choke on. As soon as it fires, and I don't mean that it starts....just a pop or two, then turn the choke off and yank again.

As it is a used engine with no history, remove the sparkplug and put your finger over the hole. Pull the cord. Make sure there is good air pressure building against your finger as the piston rises.

EDIT: OOPS.....I missed where you said the compression was good.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 PM
papy_yosh

ORIGINAL: phreaktor
When you say "diffuser" do you mean filter as in the clunk filter in the tank?
No No, It is the small hole that lets the fuel beenpulverizedand where the needle is seating in. Take the carbapartand blow it from all sides. check that you do not have any o-rings in it before you do that, or begentile.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
phreaktor

Crap I just put the carb back on again. Can I access the diffuser by tasking out the needle?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:14 PM
papy_yosh

You do not want to blow the crap in the engine if any
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM
phreaktor

Man, not much traffic or help here. The guys over at www.hpibajaforum.com solvedbit for me. I closed both needles attempted to start with no choke, backed them out to factory at H:1.5 L:1.25 choked it, 1 pull, unchokednit an it started in two pulls. Turns out it was just flooded!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: phreaktor

Man, not much traffic or help here. The guys over at www.hpibajaforum.com solvedbit for me. I closed both needles attempted to start with no choke, backed them out to factory at H:1.5 L:1.25 choked it, 1 pull, unchokednit an it started in two pulls. Turns out it was just flooded!

If you look up, I did explain to you how to use the choke. As you seemed to have some engine savy, (.... you were checking the piston and carb), I didn't want to insult you by telling you to set the carb to factory specs. But you don't seem to have a problem coming back and treating us poorly.

Coming to any forum doesn't entitle you to help or a guarenteed answer....no need to rag on us because you didn't get what you wanted. People tried to help, and that's something to be appreciated.

I ask for help a lot, and am always grateful when people try to help, whether it helps or not. You might do well to develop a similar attitude.

Anyway, I'm glad you have it sorted out, but now I'm sorry I ever tried to help in the first place.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 PM
phreaktor

Not sure why you took my post so personally or why I care enough to respond, but the support on the other site is amazing compared to here. Yes I have been here a while. Either way, I appreciate the help I did get here. The needle setting were the first thing I did when I had starting issues. The reason I'd come back here was to update the thread with advice for future users. No hard feelings.