Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

engine has stopped

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 PM
simonRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine has stopped

So I was giving the car some runs up and down the field for 10 mins or so whilst tuning. Just when I was getting a good tune, it stopped. When I tried to pull the pull start it was slack and loose, it would come all the way up and down without any resistence.

I took the pull start of and it unrevaled and at first I thought it was this that was causing the problem (I will buy a new one). However, when i turn the nut that the pull start normally goes over, there is no resistence there either, it just spins freely. I know this would normally turn the flywheel. I can turn the flywheel which has resitance and I can hear the pop.

Any ideas what I have done? Click the link to take a look at the engine and nut that I refer to.

http://img141.imageshack.us/g/sam2914.jpg/

Cheers
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: engine has stopped

ORIGINAL: simonRC

So I was giving the car some runs up and down the field for 10 mins or so whilst tuning. Just when I was getting a good tune, it stopped. When I tried to pull the pull start it was slack and loose, it would come all the way up and down without any resistence.

I took the pull start of and it unrevaled and at first I thought it was this that was causing the problem (I will buy a new one). However, when i turn the nut that the pull start normally goes over, there is no resistence there either, it just spins freely. I know this would normally turn the flywheel. I can turn the flywheel which has resitance and I can hear the pop.

Any ideas what I have done? Click the link to take a look at the engine and nut that I refer to.

Cheers
If the engine will turn over fine by turning the flywheel but the starter shaft turns freely, your one-way clutch (also called a one-way bearing) is probably shot. The one-way clutch "grabs" the starter shaft in one direction but releases in the opposite direction. If they get oil-soaked, they can slip. If they are allowed to slip a lot The starter shaft can get glazed/polished over and the clutch won't grab. I would clean the One-way clutch with denatured alcohol thoroughly and install it DRY . Next I would take some 400-1200 grit sandpaper and scuff the starter shaft well. All you want to do is rough up the surface a bit so the clutch has a better "bite" on it. Clean real well with denatured alcohol and re-assemble. It should get you by for awhile.. Perhaps buy a spare one just in case.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
simonRC

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Cheers
If the engine will turn over fine by turning the flywheel but the starter shaft turns freely, your one-way clutch (also called a one-way bearing) is probably shot. The one-way clutch ''grabs'' the starter shaft in one direction but releases in the opposite direction. If they get oil-soaked, they can slip. If they are allowed to slip a lot The starter shaft can get glazed/polished over and the clutch won't grab. I would clean the One-way clutch with denatured alcohol thoroughly and install it DRY . Next I would take some 400-1200 grit sandpaper and scuff the starter shaft well. All you want to do is rough up the surface a bit so the clutch has a better ''bite'' on it. Clean real well with denatured alcohol and re-assemble. It should get you by for awhile.. Perhaps buy a spare one just in case.
OK, can you advise me from those photos which my one-way clutch is and starter shaft. Cheers for your help.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
shattingham01

typically the writing on the owb faces towards the carb when looking at the engine from the rear
Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 AM
simonRC

Cheers
If the engine will turn over fine by turning the flywheel but the starter shaft turns freely, your one-way clutch (also called a one-way bearing) is probably shot. The one-way clutch ''grabs'' the starter shaft in one direction but releases in the opposite direction. If they get oil-soaked, they can slip. If they are allowed to slip a lot The starter shaft can get glazed/polished over and the clutch won't grab. I would clean the One-way clutch with denatured alcohol thoroughly and install it DRY . Next I would take some 400-1200 grit sandpaper and scuff the starter shaft well. All you want to do is rough up the surface a bit so the clutch has a better ''bite'' on it. Clean real well with denatured alcohol and re-assemble. It should get you by for awhile.. Perhaps buy a spare one just in case.

Wow, thank you. I did exactly as you said, and its now working again.

you've saved me a packet!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Cheers

Wow, thank you. I did exactly as you said, and its now working again.

you've saved me a packet!
Glad it worked. Most often, the one way clutch get oil soaked from too rich of fuel mixture. Sometimes ifit happens, I'll over prime the engine to get the extra fuel in the crankcase to flush it out but since you had it apart it only made sense to clean the clutch and sand the shaft. Take care.