Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Best clutch shoe springs for take off??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Thunderbird93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best clutch shoe springs for take off??

What clutch shoe springs gives the best off-the-line take-off 1.1 or .9?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM
nitroexpress

Default RE: Best clutch shoe springs for take off??

ORIGINAL: Thunderbird93

What clutch shoe springs gives the best off-the-line take-off 1.1 or .9?
What size engine?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Anthoop

The thicker spring will mean the engine will be at a higher rpm when the clutch engages, higher rpm will produce more power.
This does not mean that the thicker spring will produce the best take off...that is down to how much traction you have...for example on a loose surface the thinner springs may give less wheelspin off the line.
Also worth mentioning that the weight of the shoe will affect engagement rpm, so you may be using aluminium shoes with a 1.0mm spring that engage at the point you need but if you changed to using composite shoes then you may need to use a thinner spring to have the same engagement point.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Thunderbird93

I have a few engines I'll be looking to put springs in. The first one is an LRP .28 with aluminum shoes in my 14 lb. XTM MMT. The next one will probably be an XTM 457 in my Revo...I'm looking for the best takeoff for grass and street. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

The thicker spring will mean the engine will be at a higher rpm when the clutch engages, higher rpm will produce more power.
This does not mean that the thicker spring will produce the best take off...that is down to how much traction you have...for example on a loose surface the thinner springs may give less wheelspin off the line.
Also worth mentioning that the weight of the shoe will affect engagement rpm, so you may be using aluminium shoes with a 1.0mm spring that engage at the point you need but if you changed to using composite shoes then you may need to use a thinner spring to have the same engagement point.

Perfect explanation! +1
Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: Thunderbird93

I have a few engines I'll be looking to put springs in. The first one is an LRP .28 with aluminum shoes in my 14 lb. XTM MMT. The next one will probably be an XTM 457 in my Revo...I'm looking for the best takeoff for grass and street. Thanks.
If you are working with a few engines/cars then why not buy a few different sets and do some experimentation, springs/shoes are fairly cheap.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Thunderbird93

Anthoop I thought about doing that. I've always used 1.1 and I just ordered some. 9 springs.