Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

LRP 28

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LRP 28

I have a newer LRP28 that has the XTEC case, and an older LRP28 VTEC case. Are there any differences between the cases or is it just the different stamp on the case??

Also, I purchased a motor parts lot recently and the LRP28 was modded by TNT MODS; only that the crankshaft was modded. I assume that just using the modded shaft in an otherwise non-modded LRP28 would be okay?? What does a modded crankshaft provide? I know that a modded sleeve has better intake and exhaust flow.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: LRP 28

I can not answer the different case question but I am interested to know, I have a Nosram 28 with VTEC on the side. (I expect HerrSavage will know the answer).
Using the modded crank in another engine will be fine, as for benefits of the modded crank, that will depend on what has been done.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know anything about mods of course.. But afaik, the only difference between VTEC and XTEC is the first letter. The reason it changed was a legal/trademark/whatever issue with Honda.. I.e. no difference.. The VTEC's are just older, from before the change was forced through.

I don't know that %100 btw. Just seem to recall reading it somewhere..
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah, I laughed when I saw the used motor that had VTEC on it because it brought back memories of when Honda was in the middle of that "legal" matter.

The crank was just bored/polished on the intake and back area, where the pin is for the back-plate.

I have yet to disassemble the XTEC motor so that I can compare them side by side. I wasn't sure if one or the other may have had better bearings, stronger material, etc.

Oddly enough, I purchased this motor lot so that I could get the carb pinch bolt from the LRP28, and I ended up getting quite a few Mach427 and Mach454 pieces in great shape as well.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you have a vernier caliper, just measure a few things to compare. ie: distance from the cylinder deck (top of crankcase with head removed) to the top of the various ports in the crankcase, etc. You could degree the engine as well, but that is a little more involved. Degreeing would only show the timing of when the ports open and close, and duration. This might be different, but I doubt it.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:18 PM
mianne
My Feedback: (3)

the cases are the same.a modded crank if done right provides more fuel to the sleve ports however if the sleve is not moded it  wont give u more horsepower they are done together.port and polish the sleve and crank.some modders do the head button to