Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Fuel type - newbie

Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
masonevans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel type - newbie

I am new to RC cars and i'm wondering what type of fuel to run in these cars. I bought a exceed rc hyper speed 2t (.16). Can I just run regular gasoline from a gas station and mix oil into it or do I need to run a special fuel in these cars?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM
bikeordie092

Default RE: Fuel type - newbie

yeah, you can run gas if want to buy a new motor lol... sorry for the sarcasm... they take glow fuel. this fuel is a mixture of nitromethane, methanol, and a lubricant. dont get a very high content on the oil (just gets messy and harder to tune) personally, i run 30% nitro and 11% oil. most people dont stray above 30% nitro, the most common is 20%.... most people run anywhere between 8% and !2% oil, some go lower but not many people go higher.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
masonevans

thanks so much for your help, if this only availible at hobbystores or can i make my own?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM
bikeordie092

I would recommend buying from a hobby store. And don't get the cheap stuff, its not worth the bottle its in. I run byrons and its like $32 a gallon....
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
JoeMaxx

For sport engines like yours I would suggest the 20% nitro fuel that your LHS carries.

Byron's is a great fuel and it is for people with more experience in R/C engines. It is a racing fuel and requires close attention to fuel mixtures when running it. I know I raced R/Cs and do not suggest racing fuels for beginners. Requires daily tuning and temp gauges to find the sweet spot for the day.

While I do not have much experience with Exceed Remote Control Cars and Trucks I can say they do not have huge cooling heads than running a high oil content fuel is suggested to long life and fun times.

Less expensive remote control cars and trucks do not have the huge cooling heads of some of the more expensive R/Cs.

So I like to suggest better fuels for them so that they last longer.

For an inexpensive engine like yours I would run 20 % nitro with a higher oil content. If your LHS carries Traxxas Top Fuel 20 % nitro I would suggest this fuel over many others because I know your engine will last a long time running it.

Many may argue this point with me but you will never hurt an engine with higher oil content and because you arebeginner I will suggest a product I know that will provide you with years of engine life and cooler temps than easier tuning. Once you learn and get more experience you can move to racing fuels but stick with High Oil Content fuels with an inexpensive engine at first

Old 02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
llkoolskillet

I have an exceed tectonic mt and it came with an SH .21. Decent little motor for learning how to tune with. I started with odonnels racing fuel 20%. When I got my first picco I switched to odonnels 30%. IMO get the best fuel the lhs has and go have fun. It doesn't matter what you get if you can't tune anyways. Might as well start somewhere

Werks 30% is my go to now
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Just about any fuel brand is better than Traxxas Top Fuel. TTF is junk.

I've used, with good results with each, Blue Thunder, Werks, Byron's, Odonnells, Trinity, and SIG Champion. I prefer the SIG over the rest because of the oil package in it. Though most hobby shops don't carry SIG.

A castor/synthetic blend oil package is highly recommended IMHO. 20% nitro is more than enough also, IMHO.