Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

need help figuring out what is going on with my engine....please help...

Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

need help figuring out what is going on with my engine....please help...

Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
benbishop98
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help figuring out what is going on with my engine....please help...

hey everyone, i have a mgt 8.0 and everytime i am at wot and let off the trigger the engine takes a lot longer to wind down than it should. sometimes after the exagerated wind down it stalls.it isn't the servo or linkage, it goes right back to idle position right after i release the trigger. i recently started running wildcat black ops 20% instead of my usual byron 20% cause it was all the lhs had. any ideas on what could be causing this? it is driving me nuts!!!!! any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
ben

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Anthoop

Default RE: need help figuring out what is going on with my engine....please help...

It is a tuning problem..I would guess that the new fuel has more oil and will require richer needle settings.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: need help figuring out what is going on with my engine....please help...

mixture is too rich on the idle circuit.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
nitroexpress

So, one vote for rich and one vote for lean. Got to love these micromotors.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

So, one vote for rich and one vote for lean. Got to love these micromotors. [img][/img]
What is your vote? Could be the decider.... :P
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
rccheech

If it takes a while to idle down, its too lean or an air leak, changing fuels usually requires a re-tune.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going for too lean on the low end, or air getting in from somewhere. I also have a fully sherlock holmes (lol)deduction thing going on here, bear with me...

He's got new fuel, so I reckon that means (pure guesswork, tell me if i'm wrong please, op ) he hasn't run it in a while, perhaps since a previous summer? It's winter now and both needles will need a tad richening for the increased air density due to lower temperature. Not unreasonable theory though right? Even if it does turn out to be dead wrong, lol.

Easy test to find out...is it overheating after high speed runs? If not then its just a lean low end, richen it 1/4 turn and see if it goes better. If it is getting hotter than usual at high-speed you're probably looking at unwanted air in the system. If it is a leak, rebuild the carb first, take out needles and change o-rings and rubber boot. If that doesn't help enlist the help of a local expert.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop using that fuel !!!!!!!! Wildcat makes some of the crappiest fuel money can buy...... you went from a top shelf fuel like Byron's, to urinal runoff like Wildcat................ stop what your doing, save yourself the headache and get rid of that Wildcat swill..............
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Anthoop

Come on Neal....don't hold back...tell us what you really think.

BTW..
ORIGINAL: nitroexpress
So, one vote for rich and one vote for lean. Got to love these micromotors. [img][/img]
We have a new category...fuel is urinal run off.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Nitrovein

ORIGINAL: supertib

urinal runoff like Wildcat................
lol Some funny *****...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
benbishop98

i am starting to think it must be the fuel also.  i thought i found a good deal.  $20 a gallon, i guess not such a good deal after all.  just got another gallon of byron and i'm about to go test it out.  hopefully that does it.  i have ran wildcat in my planes and never had a problem so i figured the car fuel would be fine. guess not. thanks for all the input everyone.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 PM
benbishop98

it was the fuel.  put some byrons in it and it ran like it should. no more wildcat for me. i thought i found a deal, $12 less a gallon than byrons, but like they say, "you get what you pay for".  but i didn't even get that!!  how much frustration do you think 20 bucks is worth?  it amazes me what a difference there is between two fuels of the same nitro content. 
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Anthoop

I suppose the lesson is not to try to cut costs when it comes to off-the-shelf fuel....unless you get recommendations for it. Do not get me wrong, sometimes a cheap fuel will work just fine for what you need.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM
rccheech

Damn, Neal....you just killed it for me, I was gonna stretch my fuel out by using tiolet water to top off...well great there goes that idea....[][:-]
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: benbishop98

i am starting to think it must be the fuel also. i thought i found a good deal. $20 a gallon, i guess not such a good deal after all. just got another gallon of byron and i'm about to go test it out. hopefully that does it. i have ran wildcat in my planes and never had a problem so i figured the car fuel would be fine. guess not. thanks for all the input everyone.

People have used Wildcat, Powermaster, Omega, and the likes for decades without nary a problem. Chances are, being mainly an aircraft fuel brand, Wildcat may have a higher content of oil. Unless you're really good on the needle, a high oil fuel will behave like bad fuel. Airplane engines are a breeze to tune on whatever fuel you throw at it. Car engines seem to be more sensitive on the needle on 'thicker' fuel like 12-14% of straight castor oil for lube; no synthetic. Slower spool up and lower top rpm by 500-1000 or so. A good HOT glow plug works wonders though.

I've used Wildcat in the past, then went to SIG. From SIG, I started mixing my own. However, SIG makes good fuel. I break-in engines on high oil fuel for the first 30 minutes then drop down to normal fuel. I would not call wildcat 'urinal runoff', but its not top of the line. I've used Byrons in the past and didnt have much trouble with it... I just didnt care for the obnoxious smell of the exhaust. Now Traxxas top fuel..... THAT is urinal runoff.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh, really it was a tuning issue, not a fuel issue, it is common to need to reassess your tune after changing fuels, but if changing back to a quality fuel also got you to the result you wanted, all the better.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yeh, really it was a tuning issue, not a fuel issue, it is common to need to reassess your tune after changing fuels, but if changing back to a quality fuel also got you to the result you wanted, all the better.

I agree 100% Foxy. Cant really believe any manufacturer of fuel would continue to make "urinal runnoff" and still be able to continue to sell it to people willing to buy it. Is everyone using this fuel a one timer? Probably not. The quality may not be at the same level as Byrons, but it must be usable or no one would buy it, and therfore they would discontinue manufacturing. IMO