Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Introducing a neighborhood to nitro.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introducing a neighborhood to nitro.

We just moved into a new neighborhood, and my neighbors are all very aware of my passion for "the hobby". I runvariousvehicles about 20 minutes a day (anytime between 4-7 pm). Mainly breaking in, getting ready for bash/race, etc. I found it really helped'warning' my neighbors when I met them, letting them to know to inform me if they ever find it a nuisance,Some of them really like it and take their small kids out to watch.For theones that I can see have no interest in it, I follow up with them to ensuretheir not being bothered by it.

I know some folks shy away from nitro because they live in a suburban/urban area. Don't be afraid of that. Most everyone loves seeing an RC car, and especially one that "runs on gas". Ha! Just be respectful and ASK if they are cool with it. Sometimes people are more accepting when they see you are aware that they can be potenially annoyed. If any of them have a problem with it (which I've never had), I would just work out a common ground. However, I've found most people love it.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
JoeMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Introducing a neighborhood to nitro.

I run mine in parks so it is not a problem.

The R/C engines are not as load as a lawn mower or weed wacker. But it is good to let them know. My worst problems were all thier kids wanting to watch
Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Ttowntoolman

Everything is fine with the niebors, till your car ends up upsidedown screeming in their flowerbed..........Seems to get-em crabby.

Everything is fine with the neibors, till you run over thier cat! Also seems to make-em crabby. Hard to keep a strait face as they are *****in at you also......

I think we could make a thread like this that would be quite entertaining! NITRO ROCKS!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 PM
JohnP2

Yea, I've had a few run-aways but nothing serious. Worst was running into my neighbor's bushes (she was unaware). It's always VERY embarrasing whenthat happens. I just don't understand when folks stay away from nitro because they are in an urban area. I grew up in an extremely urban environment, and man if I had a nitro vechicle when I was 16, I would have been everywhere with it!

It does get a little old when folks want to ask a bunch of questions while testing something or breaking in an engine, but I try to be an ambassador for "the hobby" and get people interested in it. The more the better!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Ttowntoolman

Yea, I am all for being an abassador for the hobby, especially for the Nitro camp. I get real nervous when too many people get into my area as people are un-predictable. You never know when someone walks out into your driving line when your back is turned. My buddies girl friend got "Taken out" by him while we were messin around drag racing each other down the street. She decided to walk accross the street to get a cig out of the car and well you all know Murrfies law......no broken bones or nothing but wow....an 1/8th scale can send you for a cartwheel! Leaves hellasheous bruses too.

Lets just say, the cat thing really did happen to me.......more than once. I am an ambassador for the sport in a controlled environment, otherwise I tend to shut things down when people get in "my space".
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 PM
JohnP2

Luckily I've never hit anyone....just myself a few times in the ankles, and it hurts. Plus you have to play it off cool, so it's the bite-your-lip type of pain. ;-)

Has anyone ever had their car run over? I've come real close and learned to stand in the middle of the street and constantly look behind me. ;-)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Ttowntoolman

I was driving my Savage down the road from in back of a moving pick-up truck, my son was driving the pick-up. I started to get some kind of crazy dissiness with the movement of the pick-up and the r/c. I started pulling off to the gravel and the truck slid and darted back into the road. My son reacted quick enough to avoid the "crunch" but I almost fell out the truck when he reacted. I know, dumb move, but I was wanting to get a speed check on my savage after wrecking my GPS. I almost got my Savage run over, and my dumb azz.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
cenracer1

Its great to see that others will check with neighbors before running. I moved into a townhouse a few years ago and where I ran I made sure my neighbors knew what I was doing before hand. They are used to me now and I've been referred to as the crazy truck kid.. Funny part is I'm 50 years old. Most of my neighbors are older than me. they don't watch too much anymore unless I bring out one of the gas helicopters. Those will draw a crowd.. The secret here is to be respectful of your surroundings. Unfortunately not everyone thinks this is the best hobby in the world..