Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Werks B6 Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Werks B6 Break-in

I'm about 10 tanks into it. I had to lean it quite a bit to keep temps in low 200's,. I keep hearing about people keeing their settings at "flush" or .01mm in. I'm going by what I see and hear. I'vehave about 3/4 turnin from flushon the LSN and about 1/2 on the HSN. It's sounding very good!

RMP increase is smooth, but not decrease. i.e. when I let off throttle it idles low for1/2 secondthen idles higher.Is thisin the carb settings or linkage?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM
JohnP2

Default RE: Werks B6 Break-in

Also, this engine has been great to break in. It's smooth like butter. I got the bottom end snapping exactly like I want it.!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM
rccheech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The low speed needle may be a tad lean, unless you did not close the gap on the idle screw, they are sometimes set high for break in, if all is ok on the idle gap, try backing out the lsn about an 8th turn at a time till she settles down.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 PM
JohnP2

I will try fattening the LSN some. Idle-stop seem good (.5-1 mm).

How high should your RPMs be at idle? Is it the highest you can get before engaging the clutch? Or should it be feeding on fuel and quitely purring? 

Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM
rccheech

You dont want it burbuling rich, I usually tune my low end to the point where its just lean enough to snap off a dead dig, I like to start from a rich setting and continue leaning it untill I get to that snapping response then its done, remember to get your high end tuned first, and keep the low end rich untill you are finished breaking it in. My method gives the total run time of break in about an hour or more.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I'm about 10 tanks into it. I had to lean it quite a bit to keep temps in low 200's,. I keep hearing about people keeing their settings at ''flush'' or .01mm in. I'm going by what I see and hear. I've have about 3/4 turn in from flush on the LSN and about 1/2 on the HSN. It's sounding very good!

RMP increase is smooth, but not decrease. i.e. when I let off throttle it idles low for 1/2 second then idles higher. Is this in the carb settings or linkage?

Thanks

that high idling is a inherit characteristic of that carb....... I hate to say but those carbs kinda suck and make tuning a real hassle sometimes... I would look to put a Nova or OS carb on there, you will find it tunes much better...

also watch the front bearing on that engine, they suck...and will not be long till the sheild falls off the front of the bearing...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: rccheech
try backing out the lsn about an 8th turn at a time till she settles down.
Oh yea....that did the trick. I leaned the topend about the same amountIfattended the low end, and it's an animal now. Temps right about 210 to boot. ;-)

Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM
rccheech

Glad to hear that you got her sorted out!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 AM
rccheech

If its still a pain to settle down, I have to agree with Neal, alot of guys at my track put on Nova carbs on their Werks engines, Ive seen that on more than a few occasions.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
JohnP2

I lowered the bottom end and had same results, so it has to be the idle-stop. One of the o-rings broke on the pinch bolt when I installed the carb and I did not replace. It's sealed, but still can't rule that out either. Lots of things to test before I put on another carb. Good to know that is available. If it comes down to it, will try one of those carbs.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 AM
sanctified_one

Default Hsn

Originally Posted by JohnP2
I'm about 10 tanks into it. I had to lean it quite a bit to keep temps in low 200's,. I keep hearing about people keeing their settings at "flush" or .01mm in. I'm going by what I see and hear. I'vehave about 3/4 turnin from flushon the LSN and about 1/2 on the HSN. It's sounding very good!

RMP increase is smooth, but not decrease. i.e. when I let off throttle it idles low for1/2 secondthen idles higher.Is thisin the carb settings or linkage?

Thanks
Did IT come with a high speed needle I had to put in one from another engine
Old 06-18-2020, 06:58 AM
sanctified_one

Default Hsn

Originally Posted by JohnP2

Thanks
Did IT come with a high speed needle I had to put in one from another engine