Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Rc nitro engine questions

Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM
senanchamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc nitro engine questions

Can some one pro out there answer the following question going around my head

What does the following in RC engines do

-Clutch shoe

if the clutch is there to release the car when the rev goes up then what does the clutch shoe do??

how do we know a clutch shoe is not working
what are the signs of it

how do we know a clutch is faulty
what are the signs of it
Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
nitroexpress

Do you have or have you worked on a vehicle with a centrifical clutch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otzic9dfCps
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
senanchamma

Thank you (nitroexpress
) for the link and help, but i know what
centrifical or originally centrifugal force, but the question was what does it do.. (does it just keep the shaft centered or what? )

what will happen without it??
and what will happen with it

what is the difference between a clutch and a clutch shoes

if you do know the answers and can answer each question it would be so helpful i really need some help
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM
chookman46

The clutch itself is made up of the clutch shoes and springs and the clutch bell. Centrifugal force wants to make the clutch shoes move out more the faster the engine is revved. It has the springs on the shoes to hold the shoes in up until a certain point. Once the centrifugal force overcomes the spring force the shoes will move out and touch the clutch bell. This will start the car moving.

You can change the point at which the clutch starts to grip by changing the springs or weight of the clutch shoes.
Stiiffer springs, lighter shoes means higher revs before the clutch engages. Lighter springs, heavier shoes the opposite.

You can also get different material shoes as well.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by senanchamma
Can some one pro out there answer the following question going around my head

What does the following in RC engines do

-Clutch shoe

if the clutch is there to release the car when the rev goes up then what does the clutch shoe do??

how do we know a clutch shoe is not working
what are the signs of it

what are the signs of it

Originally Posted by senanchamma
Thank you (nitroexpress
) for the link and help, but i know what
centrifical or originally centrifugal force, but the question was what does it do.. (does it just keep the shaft centered or what? )

and what will happen with it

if you do know the answers and can answer each question it would be so helpful i really need some help
chookman46 already gave a good answer but I will try to make an attempt to go into more detail with some scientific language.

What does the clutch shoe do?
Using centifugal force and friction it connects the engine output to the drivetraina allowing the car to move.

"how do we know a clutch shoe is not working
what are the signs of it
"
We know that the clutch shoes arent working when reving the engine to attempt to drive, the clutch doesnt engage and you dont move forwards or when you hear an awful grinding sound (shoe spring grinding against clutch bell).
The signs of malfunctioning clutch would be either broken parts (either shoes or springs), used up shoes where springs got grinded, general used up shoes, excessive clutch shoe burs not allowing it to work properly.

what are the signs of it

Pretty much same as when its not working properly so point above.

Without clutch shoes there will be no engagement therefore no connection of the drivetrain to the engine.

what will happen with it

Engagement, so engine will be connected to the drivetrain.

Clutch is a general name of a unit (collection of parts that carry out same role). Generally centrifical clutch consists of four parts : flywheel (where the clutch shoes are mounted on), clutch shoes, clutch shoe springs, clutch bell.
Clutch shoes are the sub-unit aka part that makes out the clutch.
Now some general how does the clutch work.
Clutch uses three forces, tension force in the spring, centrifical force from engine RPM and friction between clutch shoes and clutch bell.
When the engine is at low rpm, the spring manages to keep the clutch shoes very close to the centre not allowing them to touch the clutch bell therefore engaging.
Once the engine gains rpm, the centrifical forces overcome the force the spring applies allowing the shoes to go outwards and touching the clutch bell, therefore engaging.
As the clutch engaged, the engine is connected to the drivetrain.
There are different strength springs allowing you to adjust the "magical" rpm when the clutch engages and different material clutch shoes that allow you to choose how smooth the engagement is.
Aluminum (or alloy) clutch shoes engage much faster so they have much more bite, its very rapid and the shoe lifespan is relatively short.
Plastic (or composite) clutch shoes engage slower and have more slip, they engage more gradually giving smooth engagement, the livespan is relatively longer.

Hope it helps.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
senanchamma

Thank you so much, you have helped me enough
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM
senanchamma

Mate your awesome thank you so much for all these answers you are truly an awesome person thanks for your time, will never forget your help Marciatelli
Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 PM
big kid
My Feedback: (19)

I need some help finding correct glow plug for an ofna/picco maxx .26. I cant find the #'s from ofna manual wich are 51008-hot and 51007-med. And I cant find any cross ref, any help woul be greatly appreciated.....Thank's in advance
Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by big kid
I need some help finding correct glow plug for an ofna/picco maxx .26. I cant find the #'s from ofna manual wich are 51008-hot and 51007-med. And I cant find any cross ref, any help woul be greatly appreciated.....Thank's in advance
Hot glow plug would be either No.6 or R3, medium would be No.8.

Run either Medium or Cold glow plug, for 25%+ nitro I would recommend cold r5 glow plug, for below 25% nitro medium as it is a .26

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	glow-plug-chart.png
Views:	2175
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2040355  

Last edited by Marciatelli; 10-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Hot plugs for up to 0-30% nitro for me for bashing. They handle richer mixtures better and idle better. Unless you have the head clearance absolutely set perfect, there's no need to change heat range or shim the head unless you're blowing plugs regularily. A race engine is a different animal, basher engines run fine on 20-30% nitro and hot plugs. I avoid OS plugs because of cost and longevity. Enya, McCoy, O'Donnell, Merlin, and Rossi are great plugs. Enya plugs are a little shorter reach but work rather well and last forever. I use McCoy MC59 or Enya #3 plugs normally.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 AM
big kid
My Feedback: (19)

sorry to bother again, but could you tell me what brand these recommended glow plugs are? Thanks again
Old 10-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Barracuz

Read post #10 just one more time.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Barracuz
Read post #10 just one more time.
I think he is referring to the recommended plugs from the engine manufacturer in post #8. I'd guess they're Picco plugs but I'm not positive. Not necessary to use their branded plugs anyway, I never do.

edit: I didn't pay attention initially, but the poster in reply #8 should have started their own thread instead of hijacking this one... Would have eliminated some confusion perhaps?

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 10-15-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
kuntri72

Hey back to the clutch shoes can anyone tell me if clutch shoes are brand specific and or interchangeable. I have a redcat earthquake 3.5 with a O.S. .21 motor and the clutch spring broke and believe the shoes are toast as well. The nearest hobby shop doesn't carry redcat parts but has a clutch set with spring that looks really close, but made by traxxas. If it matches up would that work or do I need to get a clutch set from redcat? I plan on going tomorrow to check it out further but don't want to waste a trip cause its about an hour and a half drive.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by kuntri72
Hey back to the clutch shoes can anyone tell me if clutch shoes are brand specific and or interchangeable. I have a redcat earthquake 3.5 with a O.S. .21 motor and the clutch spring broke and believe the shoes are toast as well. The nearest hobby shop doesn't carry redcat parts but has a clutch set with spring that looks really close, but made by traxxas. If it matches up would that work or do I need to get a clutch set from redcat? I plan on going tomorrow to check it out further but don't want to waste a trip cause its about an hour and a half drive.

Well, make sure the clutch shoes are designed for correct clutch bell internal diameter, so measure internal diameter of clutch bell and and ask seller for what clutch bell internal diameter the shoes are made. Other than that just make sure the mouthing holes are good size to fit in to the flywheel poles. Also check clutch shoes length.

generally these things fit with no problem, but there are always few problematic manufacturers.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
kuntri72

Thank you Marciatelli. Very much appreciated, I've not had much success with this vehicle for being brand new and supposedly RTR.