Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

2 Port, 3 Port, 4 Port, 5.... What does it mean?!

Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

2 Port, 3 Port, 4 Port, 5.... What does it mean?!

Old 09-19-2020, 03:01 AM
doutrnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Port, 3 Port, 4 Port, 5.... What does it mean?!

I'm looking for a new .21 nitro engine for my Inferno MP10 and...
1. I've never shopped for one before so I don't know what to get. (My budget is $200. I can maybe push $250) I found a Novarossi S21P5XLT 2019 5 Port .21 Off-Road Nitro Engine (Turbo Plug) (Steel Bearings) for $192.99 on AMain Hobbies. Any other suggestions are extremely welcome!
2. What does it mean when an engine has 3 ports or 4, 5, 6, 7 ports? I think I heard correctly that the more ports the more powerful the engine?
3. Where are the ports located and what are their purpose?

Thanks guys!!! I hope to hear from someone soon!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The port count does not determine the power level of the engine. Typically, higher port engines make more power, but that’s not always the case. Some 3-port engines will put power a higher port engine because it’s not the number of ports that matter, it’s the size, shape, angle, and most importantly, the timing or dwell of the port (length of time it’s open and when it opens and closes).

Typically, long stroke engines don’t rev as high (make as much power) as short stroke or square stroke engines and they’re more efficient on fuel.