Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Airplane fuel in car engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM
crankshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane fuel in car engine

Airplane fuel can be bought for about $10 a gallon, less than half what i pay for car fuel. the manufacturers say dont do it, but i recently bought some 0% airplane fuel just as an experiment and tried it in my ofna .12, which is probably about the cheapest .12 you can get. after some port work(changed induction and port timing, enlarged transfer ports), it turns more rpm than my friends tz. and the car an ld3, which claimed 50 out of the box, is far faster than that on regular fuel. much to my surprise, it actually ran decent with the airplane fuel. it wasnt as fast as with car fuel, but surprisingly close. definetly still faster than a stock ld3 on 20% car fuel, and the engine stayed reasonably cool. i took apart the engine after about 5 tanks and it looks good. in view of this, i think from now on i will be buying 0% cool power. i'm putting my .12 in my R40 and taking it to the races this weekend, and i will be running the airplane fuel, so we will see how it does.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:08 AM
Kol

Default RE: Airplane fuel in car engine

I'm using Byron 16% nitro airplane fuel in my Smartech Commando. It's about $20 a gallon here. Car nitro can be up to $50. I have had no problems as the oil content is pretty much the same as some of the Byron car fuels.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:25 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I would post my opinion about this but every time I do people get their panties in a wad. If you PM me I will send you a web site and you make up your own mine. With airplane fuel you will not get top performance do to oil content.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
bigbadbowtie

I have been running Morgans Omega in my RC's for years with NO issues. Rc Car Action has a write up about this in there current magazine.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

I'm an airplane guy mostly, so i will run some 15% in my car when i'm out of car fuel. I agree that the tuning will be different and the power is slightly less compared to lower oil car fuel. If all I can get is airplane fuel, I get a higher percentage of nitro to counter act the higher oil, other than that there are no problems with running AP fuel.