Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Crankcase Temps more stable??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:30 AM
domanonamous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankcase Temps more stable??

So when you are "fully warmed up" what temperature range should the case be? The case temp should be more stable than the head temp and my guess about 50 degrees lower, right? Would this make a better reference point for temperature measurements?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:30 PM
125cchyperman

Default RE: Crankcase Temps more stable??

As I always say dont pay attention to the temp. You will do much better by just tuning for performance. Jus make sure that the throotle responce is nice and crisp. Make sure that your not running lean and you'll ne more then fine. Believe me you dont need a temp gauge but if you really want it or alreaady have it and wont go without it. Point the temp gauge at the glow plug and take the temp from there that is the best place to take it from. But as I said you dontr need it.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
domanonamous

Part of my problem is Im not sure how much performance my truck will tolerate yet. Its very hot here in Vegas and by the time I figure out that Im a little lean Im way hot, This motor heats up quicker than it cools down so Ive been leaning to the side of caution.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 PM
125cchyperman

Ok then you have a tuning problem and i wouldnt even trust the temp gun. Just tune to performance. Another words make shure the throttle responce is nice and crisp without it popping and caring on and you'll be fine.

This is a quick way to find wheather you are lean or not. Start the engine and get the engine up to temp. Then take your truck and put it on a cinder block or something and make sure the wheels are free spinning. Take your free hand and put your hand about 6 to 8 inches away from the exhaust stinger and stabb the throttle and make sure it gets up to rpm. But only get it up to top rpm for only a fraction of a secound and then let go. Take your hand and look at it. There should be a little mist of fuel on your hand. Not droplits and not dry as a whistle. There should be a fine mist of fuel on your hand and you should be able to take a finger from your other hand and slide your finger against the palm of your other hand and gets some fuel on your finger.

just make sure there is some fuel on your hand and you'll be fine if there is no fuel then your to lean and are in danger of hurting your motor. This is the fastest and easiest way for a person who's having trouble finding the right needle setting's . But remember when the ambient temp changes by a few degrees you will have to retune. The best way for you to find the right tune is to do this and then turn the needle 1/8th of a turn on counter clockwise.

But when you do this make sure the fuel is not coming from the lower rpms as this is the LHS and not the HSN. If you have any more questions just pm me and ill get back to ya.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:13 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

As I always say dont pay attention to the temp. You will do much better by just tuning for performance. Jus make sure that the throotle responce is nice and crisp. Make sure that your not running lean and you'll ne more then fine. Believe me you dont need a temp gauge but if you really want it or alreaady have it and wont go without it. Point the temp gauge at the glow plug and take the temp from there that is the best place to take it from. But as I said you dontr need it.
I'll second this word for word. Well written!

Part of my problem is Im not sure how much performance my truck will tolerate yet
There is only so much power you can get out of an engine. Once you lean to the point where performance drops richen it back up 1/8-1/2+turns.

Ryan