Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

How to correctly use a temp gun?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Slimz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to correctly use a temp gun?

Hey,

I have a Pe-2 from tempgun.com, I was reading a magazine, and now I can't find it about how to properly read the temps with the IR. The magazine I remember specifically said to angle the gun slightly, so your not getting a direct reading from the top of the plug. I'm curious how accurate that is, and if someone could please educate me on properly using the temp gun, or is it just as easy as point and hit the button?

-- Joe
Old 12-17-2006, 11:49 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to correctly use a temp gun?

take a temp right beside the plug, not much technique to it, just aim and push the button
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 AM
GRANT ED

They are in general pretty accurite. Just aim down the head near the glo plg and push the button. You will get to know what temp your engine likes to run at.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:07 PM
drive.hard-go.pro

hpi website has a picture that shows where to point
Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

I just aim down at the plug and move it around to find the hottest reading.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the battery, this is where temp guns are most accurate. Then keep it in the top of your pit box so everybody sees it there and thinks you are using it and nobody will harrass you.

Actually, you want to find the hottest spot near the glow plug, which is usually between the plug and exhaust port.

Keep in mind that you should tune for the track conditions for peak performance (regardless of engine temp) at half a tank of fuel and back it off just a hair for a bit of insurance factor. This is much more precice and logical than tuning to a specific temp since temps can and will change with atmospheric conditions and numerous other factors such as track condirions. Tuning by performance like I mention will optimise your engine regardless of weather , track or engine temp.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

I've asked this question too, the extreme r/c article was good, point it at the bottem of the head right beside the plug. I if you point it right at the plug the reading will be very erratic and not accurate.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:43 PM
peakman

The only time a temp gun is ever used is for breaking in an engine and keeping the temps between 200-220, other than that usage you should never rely on a temp gun. The 0ptimal temp an engine runs at is never the same from brand to brand. Some engines don't even make power until they hit 260. Just tune for performance. Tune your top end first for your straight and then your bottom end and you should be fine.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Fuelman

The only time a temp gun is ever used is for breaking in an engine and keeping the temps between 200-220,
There is no need to keep a car/truck engine at any specific temp when bereaking it in, this is false logic. Break it in crisp and clean and whatever temp it runs at then so be it.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Allan Aguilar

I would say, just aim at the glow plug and press the button to get the reading, then aim it again to get second reading. This way, you can more or less judge the average reading. If you are not convinced about the temperature reading, get a 9mm aim it to your head and pull the trigger.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 AM
nitrorcjunkie

I tune for maximum performance and use my temp gun all the time. I personally like to keep temps below 290 at the glow plug for engine longevity.
On the back of all temp guns I've used is a graph showing the cone pattern of the IR sensor, which is usually 1:1, meaning at one inch from the target the area read is one inch across. so by placing the temp gun in contact with the cooling head, you're acutally reading the 'average temp of the entire glow plug recess.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
SManMTB

The correct use is this:

1. Put it in your right hand.
2. Aim
3. Throw it as far away as you can.

well... if you need to use it, just use it to get a temp reading as a reference when your mill is running good.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Timmahh
Banned

sorry i have to dissagree to some extent. a TEMP GUN is MANDITORY for Nitros. unles you have heat sensing eyes with digital readout. granted you dont want to rely on it solely, but, your motor get in excesss of 270-280 your running to the point of being to hot/lean, and once at 300. your engine life is shortened but your performance wont necessarily DROP the hotter it gets. you know the old saying its darkest right befor done. in nitro world its your motors running the best it ever did, right before self destructing.

keep in mind those that race in ROAR type races are usualy sponsored, they can run teh engines at 380. and next weeks race they ll have a newly rebuilt motor, if not a new motor. those of us who race for shiz n grinz or bash arnt sponsored and need to keep the tune and temps in check or we ll be sidelinded until we can get/buy a new motor or rebuild parts.

Timmahh
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 AM
SManMTB

Ha... that's BS. Tune by ear, that's the best way. Sure it takes some experience to do it correctly. I never used a temp gun up until 2 years ago and I don't use it very much.
10 - 15 years ago they were not that common and I was doing fine then.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Fuelman

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

sorry i have to dissagree to some extent. a TEMP GUN is MANDITORY for Nitros. unles you have heat sensing eyes with digital readout. granted you dont want to rely on it solely, but, your motor get in excesss of 270-280 your running to the point of being to hot/lean, and once at 300. your engine life is shortened but your performance wont necessarily DROP the hotter it gets. you know the old saying its darkest right befor done. in nitro world its your motors running the best it ever did, right before self destructing.

keep in mind those that race in ROAR type races are usualy sponsored, they can run teh engines at 380. and next weeks race they ll have a newly rebuilt motor, if not a new motor. those of us who race for shiz n grinz or bash arnt sponsored and need to keep the tune and temps in check or we ll be sidelinded until we can get/buy a new motor or rebuild parts.

Timmahh
This is the kind of misinformation I am always writing about. A temp gun is not manditory for running glow fueled engines, never has and never will. I have several engines that do not start running efficiently untill they are above 300, and several that need to be around 350. Remember that heat makes horseposer, and it takes correct needle tuning to make the right amount of heat. What you experience may work for you and thats fine, however the conditions you run in (engine, fuel, plug, car, altitude, heat sink size, etc, etc...) are not going to be the same as ones at sea level in Florida or at 5000 feet altitude in Denver.

50 years of folks running airplane engines without temp guns have more than proven the fact that they are not necessary. Explain to me why I can (and people I properly teach how to break in and tune car engines) can get 10 plus gallons of fuel between teardowns and I can get 20 gallons or more through some engines. Yes I own a temp gun and other insturmentation for reading head temp but I do'nt use it for tuning. Getting 100 gallons through an airplane engine is pretty common without using a heat gun to tune.