Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

STS Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
j_blaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STS Engines

wow, i am so happy with my 21b's. i broke in the second today, 1 bottle+1 tank, took about 30 minutes with the drake method. then i tuned it and put another 3 tanks in it before my throttle servo quit (cheep, tower pro), but before that it was ripping around the track with the hobao hyper st pipe, i liked it. i was soft with it at first but got a little confident the last bit and i was clearing all the jumps and even took on a kyosho for a few laps till i cought a pipe (hyper 8.5 is so tough), then the servo went a little later, luckily on of the fellas was out flipping a car and was able to catch my buggy and shut it down stuck on wide open, i doing donuts trying to keep it from over reving while i was running down to it. i really must say the performance difference is hardly noticeable over the other high dollar engines. yes, a lot of r+d goes into the big name engines, also marketing, but sts has done very well with these $134 little packages. my first 21b has 2 gallons on it now with 30%, still going very strong with the dynamite 007 torque pipe. go sts!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I do not recommend the Drake method unless you are a pro driver that gets their engines for free!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
j_blaze

you are absolutely right, but i'm hardly a pro, i'll keep doing it until something goes wrong. i just want to keep posting the progress cause sts engines have been accused of needing like a whole gallon to break in the engine, i just want people to see there is another option that works, if you dare.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:53 PM
JB COMP

my 21B was not bad to break-in, or had any problems, but its the new 30's that most people have the problems with.

j_blaze, lmk how many gallons you get on your engines with this break-in method, I might try next time I break-in an engine. (which will be a while, since I don't drive a lot anymore[&o])
Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

Kemo, most likely the priceing of the new S21T will be close to the same as the MKii if not more.

I wont be stocking anymore STS engines... i haven't heard from my distributor for a long while, and thats not a good sign. I'll be stocking Go Tech engines from now on because of this.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:04 PM
46u

I have talked to several that have not heard from Mark at STS Micro Engines in quite a while and if you look on his site he sure is out of stock on a lot of items. I sure hope he is OK and would let people know what is going on!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:22 PM
JB COMP

Mark and http://nitrocountryrc.com/index.php have most of there STS stuff out of stock.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 PM
46u

Maybe they are letting their stock get low for the end of the year inventory for taxes. Mark does not even have anything about the new S21T on his site. [X(]
Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
JB COMP

I talked to the guy at www.projectzen.net and he said he has no problem getting STS stuff, that where they get there stuff from way not be a legal place, sorry got to run, so if any thing not spelled right.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 AM
j_blaze

woah, had a bit of an incident yesterday. throttle servo locked up, of course at wot, ant hyper st jumped the track and flipped upside down, wheels ballooning. the engione was screaming to the point that is leaned out and sputtered. i shut it down, took it home and the pinch is still very good, should the incident damage the compression at all? i had a cheepo engine do the same thing when my hyper 7 battery fell out, of course at wot. i'll have it out again as soon as the servos arrive tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
j_blaze

ok, switching out clutch shoes i checked the second d21b and it has an air leak in the front bearing. i have a new bearing. i have the case in the oven and the new bearing in the freezer, right. pop out the old one pop in the new one, done, right.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
JB COMP

Mark and nitro country are still out of stock on most of there STS enignes, looks like www.projectzen.net may be the only STS dealer in the US.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
JB COMP

anyong know anthing on why those 2 places are still out of stock?

46u have you heard from Mark?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
46u

From what Mark told me he is having problems getting parts and engines from STS. Not sure what the problem is but he is not happy and not sure he will keep selling STS products. There was a similar problem with GO engines a while back and engines as well as parts where hard to get.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
JB COMP

the guy at projectzen, said he gets his stuff direct from the manufacture, and he has no problem getting his stuff.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 PM
j_blaze

i got mine on ebay, rc-mall but it did come from taiwan or hong kong or somewhere very far. took about 10 days total. the engine was quitin last time out at wot so i checked i for air leak. can ia use a small amount of gasket maker silicone stuff/sealer around the front bearing and shaft?, or is that a dry fit?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
46u

Never use sealer on my front bearing or crank shaft.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 AM
j_blaze

oh boy, what fun that was. i took out the old bearing by beating it out with pliers and a hammer. then cooked it back in with sealer. i guess the beating session took the bearing out of shape case as sooon as i put it back together it was binding. i tried 3 different fly wheels thinking it was that but i guess when the fly wheel is tightened up it locked it up some. cooked that one out, froze in a new one and she's ready to sing.

QUESTION: how tight is too tight on the fly wheel? i do about 1/4 turn past hand tight with locktite, bit more id i need the room to shim the bell. sound good?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly after some of the crap I have seen STS send out I seriously hope they go out of business....... That company has no morals or ethics and will sell us North American's total junk to use up stockpiled faulty parts..... I have seen dozens upon dozens of STS engines sold with improperly machined parts, STS even knew of the problems, yet still released motors for months using the faulty parts........IMHO people should stop running STS mills permanently... As a company STS doesn't care and will sell you total junk without blinking an eye......... Honestly to even compare a STS 21 to a Picco 21 is heresy....
Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: supertib

Honestly after some of the crap I have seen STS send out I seriously hope they go out of business....... That company has no morals or ethics and will sell us North American's total junk to use up stockpiled faulty parts..... I have seen dozens upon dozens of STS engines sold with improperly machined parts, STS even knew of the problems, yet still released motors for months using the faulty parts........IMHO people should stop running STS mills permanently... As a company STS doesn't care and will sell you total junk without blinking an eye......... Honestly to even compare a STS 21 to a Picco 21 is heresy....
I agree, STS is getting worse and worse. after the two I have, I'll be moving to either picco or go tech

supertib, have you ever ran a thunder tiger 21 pro before? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6579
Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: j_blaze

oh boy, what fun that was. i took out the old bearing by beating it out with pliers and a hammer. then cooked it back in with sealer. i guess the beating session took the bearing out of shape case as sooon as i put it back together it was binding. i tried 3 different fly wheels thinking it was that but i guess when the fly wheel is tightened up it locked it up some. cooked that one out, froze in a new one and she's ready to sing.

QUESTION: how tight is too tight on the fly wheel? i do about 1/4 turn past hand tight with locktite, bit more id i need the room to shim the bell. sound good?

Sounds like to me you do not have much experience in replacing bearings in anything. You have to make sure you remove and install them squarely and not let them cock to one side. I tighten my flywheel very tight. You might try heating the case again and making sure the bearing is seated properly.

I have 5 STS engines one is not broke in yet and I have only gotten great service out of the.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM
46u

Thunder Tiger Pro good engine for the money.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, STS is getting worse and worse. after the two I have, I'll be moving to either picco or go tech

supertib, have you ever ran a thunder tiger 21 pro before? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6579

I would really strongly recoemnd you try the Picco....... I have a very strong feeling you will fall in love with the Picco..if I were you I would order a Jammin JPX .21 today ..... When I went from STS to Picco my only thoughts were " Why didn't I buy one of these a long time ago".. Both Integra and myself were pretty humbled to say the least......The Picco's are bloody little rippers, with their own unique sound and explosive powerband....... It seems all the Picco's have heavy handed powerbands with excelent midrange power.....Squeeze the trigger on a Picco and you better be ready, as they are explosive..
Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
46u

I would really strongly recoemnd you try the Picco....... I have a very strong feeling you will fall in love with the Picco..if I were you I would order a Jammin JPX .21 today ..... When I went from STS to Picco my only thoughts were " Why didn't I buy one of these a long time ago".. Both Integra and myself were pretty humbled to say the least......
If I could get a Picco at the price I can get STS for I will get one. Whole sells them at this price and who else besides Nitro House has them?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 PM
JB COMP

I would really strongly recoemnd you try the Picco....... I have a very strong feeling you will fall in love with the Picco..if I were you I would order a Jammin JPX .21 today ..... When I went from STS to Picco my only thoughts were " Why didn't I buy one of these a long time ago".. Both Integra and myself were pretty humbled to say the least......The Picco's are bloody little rippers, with their own unique sound and explosive powerband....... It seems all the Picco's have heavy handed powerbands with excelent midrange power.....Squeeze the trigger on a Picco and you better be ready, as they are explosive..

I would love to go a grap a picco, but I can't don't have the money, and my Mom would kill if I spent $230 on a engine that I didn't need.

46u, how dose the thunder tiger 21 pro compare to the STS 21B? for my CRT I have no problem putting a $230 engine in it sinces its a pro kit, but my little rtr buggy, I'd rather keep the engine below $150 now if I get a pro buggy then I'll put a $200 enigne in it for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.