Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

STS Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:54 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Engines

anyone ever use STS engines yet, were thinking about carrying them and I wanted to see if I could get some imput on them. Thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM
IARacer

Default RE: STS Engines

All of the people that I have talked to that know what they are talking about have had nothing but good things to say about STS. I will be getting one of their big blocks when it gets warm again, and I would have one of their .12's but they don't come with pullstart.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 AM
JB COMP

I have the STS d21b engines and had noting but good thangs from mine. The sts 21b will keep up with v-specs and rb ws7. i have seen a v-sepc run and it fast but my sts 21b will keep up with it for sure and might beat it, but i never seen a ws7 run before, but I have heard people say that the 21b will keep up with it.
The sts engine are good. I say you sould start to carry these engines.[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif] best engine for the money
Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
NITRO FUMES RULE

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

anyone ever use STS engines yet, were thinking about carrying them and I wanted to see if I could get some imput on them. Thanks guys.

If you can become a dealer for STS engines "JUMP" on it. I am getting ready to swap
A STS D30M into my Revo. Killer engine with unlimited upper rpm's, not like your
typical big block that falls off the power band after mid range. I have read nothing but
good about this line of engines. Excellent price and power/reliability that rival or
surpass many race bred Italian power plants costing three or four times as much!![sm=48_48.gif]

If you are not smelling nitro fumes and listening to the sweet song your not LIVING!!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NITRO FUMES RULE

If you can become a dealer for STS engines "JUMP" on it. I am getting ready to swap
A STS D30M into my Revo. Killer engine with unlimited upper rpm's, not like your
typical big block that falls off the power band after mid range. I have read nothing but
good about this line of engines. Excellent price and power/reliability that rival or
surpass many race bred Italian power plants costing three or four times as much!![sm=48_48.gif]

If you are not smelling nitro fumes and listening to the sweet song your not LIVING!!
STS are great mills...but they have very bizarre crank timings and need to be run with the matching STS pipe for best results. The STS pipe is made to acomodate this engines timing, other pipes seem to cause weird running characteristics....
Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
NITRO FUMES RULE

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: NITRO FUMES RULE

STS are great mills...but they have very bizarre crank timings and need to be run with the matching STS pipe for best results. The STS pipe is made to acomodate this engines timing, other pipes seem to cause weird running characteristics....

Supertib is right! I forgot to add that piece of info about running the STS tuned pipes.
They are tuned specifically for their line of engines. I am going to be running a STS
pipe on my Revo. This thing will be a freakin animal with this setup![sm=punching.gif]

Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it. I have purchased about 9 different STS engines this evening, thanks to you guys there is a Happy STS distributor out there now. Thanks for you help fellas.

If your not breaking something your not having enough FUN!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Gas jocky

The best engine I've run to date no question! STSD30M in my savage, starts easy , holds a tune and after it was well broken in I removed the silver head shim and WOW! If you punch it from half throttle it easily pulls the front wheels off the ground! I'm going to get a .12 for my NTC3 next !
Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Gas jocky

The best engine I've run to date no question! STSD30M in my savage, starts easy , holds a tune and after it was well broken in I removed the silver head shim and WOW! If you punch it from half throttle it easily pulls the front wheels off the ground! I'm going to get a .12 for my NTC3 next !
You need to remove more then just one shim... you actualy only nbeed one head shim to run, a silver for 30% and a copper for 20%, the rest you dont need.... As well if your not runing the STS pipe your not seeing this engines true power
Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Well I have been told that there are no pipes available from STS for there .12 engines, because they haven't found the right combination for the engine yet and there working on it. Is there a way you could list a few of the engines and give maybe your input on what you have heard are the best pipes for the different STS engines or the pipe you use for your STS engine because were going to be stocking pipes (for the engines that don't have pipes available from STS) from this company [link=http://tsais.com/]http://tsais.com/[/link] , also any input on these guys if you've heard of them would be appreciated. Thanks guys your being very helpfull.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 PM
savvy-racer

http://cgi.ebay.com/STS-2801-Monster...QQcmdZViewItem

what about this engine and do they got a non pull start version. thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 01:43 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

it doesn't look like it, I asked him and he said he doesn't have one and doesn't think they do come like that, But the stock I got from him there is one in there and it has a pull start but it looks like the one back plate can be used to replace the pull start and make the engine a non pullstart.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:17 AM
supertib

tuned pipes work of the engines timing, STS engines use very very agressive timings, and can be very picky on tuned pipe selection...All STS big block seem to use nearly identical timings so the STS tuned pipe seems to work amazingly well on the .21's all the way to the 30's....... And most likely the STS .12 also has really radical port timings, so I would expect some difficulty tuning that motor in to its potential without a matched pipe.... As I tell you thse STS mils have some radical timing from factory...

here is a vid of a STS 30 with a STS pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-tOGQAf1o
Old 01-14-2007, 03:42 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

so basically, what your saing is that we should stock the STS tuned pipe for the .21 and use it on the all the big block and possibly the small blocks, doesn't the small block have a smaller exhaust port though? If it doesn't then it would be reasonable to assume that the same pipe for the .21 would work for all the STS engine line untill they say other wise?
Old 01-14-2007, 04:05 AM
supertib

so basically, what your saing is that we should stock the STS tuned pipe for the .21 and use it on the all the big block and possibly the small blocks, doesn't the small block have a smaller exhaust port though? If it doesn't then it would be reasonable to assume that the same pipe for the .21 would work for all the STS engine line untill they say other wise?
No a big block pipe works only on the big blocks.. sorry if i wasn't clear... Though some people tell me a JP-2 works good on the 28... I dont have a 28 to test on so IDK... But I do know the .21 and 30 both love the STS pipes, and I would feel pretty confident the 28 does as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Team Knowitall

ORIGINAL: IAMammothST

All of the people that I have talked to that know what they are talking about have had nothing but good things to say about STS. I will be getting one of their big blocks when it gets warm again, and I would have one of their .12's but they don't come with pullstart.
a .12 with a pullstart is about as useless as a 13 pound truggy with a 2 speed.

if you've got a gas truck, get a starter box and an STS ST12R. the engine is brutally powerful and runs brilliantly. if you want the .12 for a touring car, get a D5X.

the D30M is quite possibly THE most powerful big block on the market.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 AM
NITRO FUMES RULE

ORIGINAL: Team Knowitall

ORIGINAL: IAMammothST

if you've got a gas truck, get a starter box and an STS ST12R. the engine is brutally powerful and runs brilliantly. if you want the .12 for a touring car, get a D5X.

the D30M is quite possibly THE most powerful big block on the market.

TRUE THAT!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 AM
IARacer

ORIGINAL: Team Knowitall

Ohhh, I get it, you were trying to take a shot at my truck, I get it, I get it, teacher pick me, I get it! I never made any shots at you, so why don't you just keep your mouth shut. I have a .12 w/pullstart in my touring car because I don't race it, so it doesn't really matter. And since it actually moves the car around, its not actually useless. There, I'm done.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Easy guys on the flaming. Each to his own and please lets move on.

I'm not certain, but I think there might be an existing pull start unit that will fit the .12 STS engines. I do not know which brand is suitable, and by all means, do your own research and do not take my word for it since I only heard this from some guys bantering along at my local RC store.

I personally race on a very rare ocassion on-road and therefore personally prefer the starter box to pull starts. But I do take my on-road racer and practice with it up and down the street more or less street bashing it. I only have become accustomed with the starter box because that is what all the track racers use. If my on-road car were pull start capable, I would not mind that at all. But I dont think HPI made enough clearance on the R40 to allow pull start units to be mounted on the engines when mounted on the car.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
IARacer

Yeah, I've talked to a few guys about the whole STS .12 pullstart thing and nobody seems to know. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a pullstart out there that fits, its just that I don't have the money to buy a bunch of them to figure it out. If I did, I would just buy a starter box and be done with it.
If I actually raced my car, I would for sure have a starter box and not pullstart, it would be silly not to.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
linkadrip

STS D30M Engine Breakin question. I have run a quart of fuel through the engine odonell's 20% nitro with a hot plug and all the shims in the engine there are 3 shims that it came with silver thickest and two copper, one medium thickness and one real thin. Ok I ran it rich as hell for the first quart. Started on second quart and leaned it out some and now its performing very well major power lots of compression.

From what i have read this is not even near its full potential and it is crazy already and fast as hell. SO how much more fuel should be run through it before the Shims should be removed? i have 3 quarts of odonells 20% and one gallon of 30% nitro i run in all my other cars. I plan to run 30% in this engine.

So i will remove all but the silver shim and run 30% and will switch to a medium glow plug.

Break in procedure i'm using is the heat cycling method, non static. I drive my truck during break in. After a tank of fuel i let the engine cool naturally then refuel the engine and Start it and go again this is how i have been breaking it in.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 AM
NITRO FUMES RULE

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

STS D30M Engine Breakin question. I have run a quart of fuel through the engine odonell's 20% nitro with a hot plug and all the shims in the engine there are 3 shims that it came with silver thickest and two copper, one medium thickness and one real thin. Ok I ran it rich as hell for the first quart. Started on second quart and leaned it out some and now its performing very well major power lots of compression.

From what i have read this is not even near its full potential and it is crazy already and fast as hell. SO how much more fuel should be run through it before the Shims should be removed? i have 3 quarts of odonells 20% and one gallon of 30% nitro i run in all my other cars. I plan to run 30% in this engine.

So i will remove all but the silver shim and run 30% and will switch to a medium glow plug.

Break in procedure i'm using is the heat cycling method, non static. I drive my truck during break in. After a tank of fuel i let the engine cool naturally then refuel the engine and Start it and go again this is how i have been breaking it in.

It looks like you are doing a great job on break in. Be sure to keep engine temps
above 200 degrees ideally 210 to 220. From the info I have gathered this engine
needs at least full gallon and possibly more before approaching the broken in stage.
At 3/4 of a gallon remove the medium thickness shim and start leaning the main
needle between 1/16 to 1/8 turn with each tank. Continue to vary engine speed
and the closer you get to the one gallon mark start to hit full throttle for two to
four second bursts. Make sure to monitor temps as you lean out your engine.
After 1 gallon or more remove the other shim leaving the shim in place you will
be using for the 30% nitro you will be using. Hope this helps!!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:15 PM
linkadrip

Thanks Nitro Fumes

Yes that answers my question perfectlly appriciate the reply and info.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:50 AM
redfox03

i have a question. im planning on getting one of the sts .21 engines for my buggy. i plan on using 30% fuel for it. when i am breaking it in, should i just leave only the silver shim in since i will be breaking it in with 30% or leave them all in till the break in is done?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:51 AM
linkadrip

I would leave them all in Due to the compression being so high in the engine when it is new. after it is broke in the compression wont be as high and then you can remove the appropriate shims. So i have been told.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.