Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nitro Guide and FAQs

Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro Guide and FAQs

sounds like you are running a tad rich, what kinda temps are you getting
Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 AM

well i just got an email from the mods saying that bumping this thread is not allowed, so please just keep linking people to this page to provide assistance to them, thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also i cant make a joke about saying "bumb" anymore either... wow they are testy.

any freakin wayz. how much does the type of engine say if it has to be a tadd rich? the engine im running now has to be rich to run otherwise it will over heat when i hit the top range. And i know its running rich because it takes more air ( more throttle @ start ) to start the engine up and when the engine is at temp, the idle is perfectly fine.

I guess i should just say the top end needs more fuel but the low end seems to be running a bit rich
Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 AM

well if you do alot of high-rpm runs like in a huge parking lot or something then you want to run a little bit rich because high rpm kills engines, if it overheats then you could have an air leak, though after i modded my 18ss (first time i modded) it ran like 40 degrees hotter, but after adding like 4% castor oil, it ran very cool and powerful (normal convo doesnt count as a bump)
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM

for all the noobs who arent understanding the break in process, TUNE THE ENGINE WHEN YOU ARE BREAKING IT IN!!![/size]
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Apollo, this one has been haunting me lately and I can't figure it out.

Stalls after high speed run and hard to start. If I flutter the trigger as it slowing down I can prevent the stall usually. When it does stall and I try to restart it acts flooded. I pop the fuel tank to relieve pressure and it starts sooner than if I just wait for it to cool down. I thought the engine (2.5R) may just be worn out but I disassembled it and the sleeve still has pinch (piston not even flush with top). Idle gap is at 1mm (i use a 0.039 piano wire as a gauge)
I'm close to the sweet spot I think but unsure. My gut feeling is I'm to rich on the LSN any thoughts??
Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 PM

sounds a bit lean all the way through, what do you mean when you pop the tank cap that is relieves the pressure when its flooded....
Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Well, It seems to act flooded, so while starting I pinch the fuel line for a sec then release. Then I found that I could do the same thing by holding the fuel tank cap open a crack while I turned the engine over. Lean all over.....never would had thought...plenty of smoke both fast and low runs. couple of drips out of tailpipe...normal I figure. temp 240 -260
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 PM

sounds like its lean to mea but you mention dripping from the stinger....you could have a slight air leak
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 AM

Yeah if the exhaust is leaking any bit of air, its gonna make tuning a ***** to do. When i had my tmaxx i spent 3 tanks trying to figure out why its not tuning and when i finnallyy looked at the exhaust "cuppler" (silicone cover around the exhauast) it was cracked.

...... it was either the Tmaxx or the TZ engine i had i had this problem with[:-]
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 PM

I was told I need to take my car in after I break it in so they can do an advanced tune up. I'm pretty smart when it comes to working on things so I was wondering what exactly they are going to do? Is it as simpleas adjusting the needles or do they do something else? Is this easy enough for me to do on my own at home? My motor is an OFNA force .28(pull start)

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 PM

well if they are going to " fine tune " its then its couldnt hurt (as long as its free) but really all you have to do now is just lean things out, and t hen find where you needs to richen it a little. so the first thing you need to do is lean the HSN to the point where you can snap off the line. Then tune (richen or lean) the LSN in which you may need to adjust the HSN a bit.

THEN once you can go full throttle you need to adjust the idle.

What i do when i think it's tune correctly stop the engine by cutting off the fuel to see what the engine does. If it stops really quick then the LSN is too lean. And if it REVS up alot then dies, the LSN is too rich. When you cut off the fuel, the engine should rev for about 3-4 seconds then die. And it shouldnt rev up alot but just a little then die.

And If its to hard to start up then the HSN may be set too rich.... but im sure we all already know this[sm=75_75.gif]
Old 06-02-2007, 12:11 AM

send4jimmy, during break in you should be tuning the engine, when you take it into them for tuning ask them to show you how so you can understand, i did the best i could writing an article for it but practicing with someone can be easier
Old 06-02-2007, 01:29 AM

I understand the tuning process of the LSN, HSN, and Idle. I told them that and they said "Oh no, the first tune is a really advanced tune and must be done in the shop, then you can tune yourself after that." So I asked if it was any different than the process explained in the manual or on the forums and he said yeah. I thought maybe he was going to do some really special tune?? If he is just going to turn my needles till that baby hits the sweet spot then I'd rather do it myself and gain the knowledge. You never learn if ya dont try right? But if there is a more advanced knowledge needed for the first tune than I have no problem taking it in so I get the most of my new car. Hope I made sense, Ha ha. What do you all think?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about a button on my factory remote on my OFNA Ultra LX Comp. It says TH-REV and my options are N & R. It also has the same switch for SERVO. Can anyone tell me what the N and the R represent? And which one should I use?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:43 AM

a tune is a tune, the first one isnt special, but it is important to tune your engine correctly at break in, basically just keep it to where its taking off smoothly and not drowning in itself, all they are going to do is tune it and then give it back, might as well do it yourself as practice
Old 06-02-2007, 02:51 AM

well im sure they will also try to sell you something while your there so they can say " OH you cant tune without this"

One of the MAIN things i should of posted a trend on is how hobby shops are. Not saying any hobby stores are bad in any ways or sence but......

*** You have to be careful at hobby stores because they might be trying to help you but they still are sells people and they WILL try to sell you thing you my not need or thing that u can live without ***

also, look up info before you purchase anything over $40... maybe over $30

At my LHS i've found that no one there really knows how to tune a engine correctly. even the guy who only works in the rc section doesnt know how to tune correctly. [:-]
Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Howdy all. Incredible amount of good info here...thank you. I have question about running nitros at high altitude. I live at 8500 feet and I bash....no tracks or clubs near me...I'm lookin to buy a nitro but have heard they can have a lot of trouble running at this altitude.....It seems to me I can breath and drive my car the things oughta run....but since anything I know about nitros I learned here pretty much, I figure you're the ones to ask. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:44 PM

well there is a little graphic on the first page of how to adjust to altitudes and pressure differences, higher altitudes mean you should run a little leaner, also, i beleive the general rule of thumb is that for every 1,000ft above sea level engines lose 3-4% maximum power so you're running on about 2/3 the power, higher nitro fuel would probably help a bit
Old 06-02-2007, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: hpi apollo

well there is a little graphic on the first page of how to adjust to altitudes and pressure differences, higher altitudes mean you should run a little leaner, also, i beleive the general rule of thumb is that for every 1,000ft above sea level engines lose 3-4% maximum power so you're running on about 2/3 the power, higher nitro fuel would probably help a bit
Many thanx. running it lean at this altitude and higher....just curious what kind of life span it might have....and how futile it may be to try to run in snow...fuel with sythetic oil? i have sheet metal shop.....have a few ideas for water protection for the electronics...seems like a challenge anyway......i've learned a lot reading this....thanx again!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:36 PM

So I'm still trying to do my tune now that my break in is done. I am told that on my .28 motor I should not have the main needle and more than 2-1/2 turns from fully turned in. They reccommend 3 turns out and no leaner than 2-1/2 from closed. But I'm at 2-1/4 turns from fully closed and it still spits fuel out the pipe and boggs out and dies uppon take off. Any suggestions? I have my low end needle at stock setting and have tried turning it 1/2 turn both ways but no improvement.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Mountn

ORIGINAL: hpi apollo

Many thanx. running it lean at this altitude and higher....just curious what kind of life span it might have....and how futile it may be to try to run in snow...fuel with sythetic oil? i have sheet metal shop.....have a few ideas for water protection for the electronics...seems like a challenge anyway......i've learned a lot reading this....thanx again!
not running lean, running leaner, running lean is when you dont have enough fuel, leaner means just giving it a little less, if you are running rich thne you want to run leaner, not lean, understand? its a bit tricker to tune in really cold weather, you have to richen up the engine and wrap it in aluminum foil (1 sheet usually) to keep it warm

ORIGINAL: send4jimmy

So I'm still trying to do my tune now that my break in is done. I am told that on my .28 motor I should not have the main needle and more than 2-1/2 turns from fully turned in. They reccommend 3 turns out and no leaner than 2-1/2 from closed. But I'm at 2-1/4 turns from fully closed and it still spits fuel out the pipe and boggs out and dies uppon take off. Any suggestions? I have my low end needle at stock setting and have tried turning it 1/2 turn both ways but no improvement.

they will never be able to really guess where it will be at, if you are at high altitudes thats fine, otherwise you could have an air leak, there is a link on the first page on how to fix those
Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 PM

just for curiosity reasons, how many people have found this guide very helpful?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 PM

I think you and rccardude (Eric Brown) did a dam good job, I'm new to nitro, so some of the things that you wrote, I had questions and other threads weren't answering them, now I have this tread in my fav. to I can go back to reference it,
THANK YOU
Rick
Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM

Awesome thread hpi apollo...

Is it normal for a modded engine to run hot? By hot i mean 260-270? It seems that now matter how much i richen it up, it still runs that temp. The power is great and it sounds good, just a little hotter than i am used to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.