Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nitro Guide and FAQs

Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Guide and FAQs

I would go with one of the 30% brands.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this forum necessary? no, technically mostly everything you need to know is in the booklet but this guide makes it easier to understand and puts it in lamens terms, dont bash it because its there, its not perfect but far better than nothing
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: dsales

Is this guide even necesarry? All you need to know (including what fuel to use) is in the booklet when you purchase your rc car.

Let's see....1/8th scale buggy traveling @ 35 mph (conservative) = 280mph scale speed. Now add in the fact that it is manually tuned with no on-board computers monitoring the mix & it's driven from a 3rd person perspective. This thread has centralized a ton of information, that otherwise you would spend hours researching. hummmmm.........yep it's needed.

Since this is the Nitro guide I thought I might add this link: http://users.pandora.be/elvo/

This will help explain chassis dynamics and help the RC owner adjust the rest of their buggy/truck.

Great guide Apollo, glad it finally got stickied.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 AM

hello.. having a bit of a problem with all my trucks.. my savage x for example has been broken in, 8-9 tanks thru it, great acceleration, enough smoke, good top speed, stable moderate idle. my problem is- after WOT of even long 3/4 throttle and i completely release throttle the engine rpm seem to stay at high rpm then decreases slowly.. this is not normal i know cause it should immediately go down to idle shouldn''t it? i know this is normal if the tranny shifted to second gear and then throttle is almost simultaneously released. but mine does this even at first gear and the truck has not picked up speed. need your advice.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 AM

I just read this entire post looking for the question in the last post. Anyway my REVO 3.3 is tuned and running better then ever however, the same problem as post above after heavy throttle when I let off the gas the RPM's rev very high and are slow to come back down. Sugestions?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: TOR2

hello.. having a bit of a problem with all my trucks.. my savage x for example has been broken in, 8-9 tanks thru it, great acceleration, enough smoke, good top speed, stable moderate idle. my problem is- after WOT of even long 3/4 throttle and i completely release throttle the engine rpm seem to stay at high rpm then decreases slowly.. this is not normal i know cause it should immediately go down to idle shouldn''t it? i know this is normal if the tranny shifted to second gear and then throttle is almost simultaneously released. but mine does this even at first gear and the truck has not picked up speed. need your advice.

Sounds like your low end is lean, if its too lean its hard for the idle rpm to kick in right away. Acceleration is good because of a lean low end.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Mkinnunen

I just read this entire post looking for the question in the last post. Anyway my REVO 3.3 is tuned and running better then ever however, the same problem as post above after heavy throttle when I let off the gas the RPM's rev very high and are slow to come back down. Sugestions?

Try this, if you WOT and then have the car run off, then release the throttle and apply breaks, will engine rpm still remain high? it should immediatly come to idle rpm when you hit the breaks, if it doesnt, then your low end is reallll lean.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Yes it was lean on low end, I gave it about one hour richen and the lowered the idle and all is good. thanks for the replys.

Michael
Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 AM

Glad to be of some help.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Hi, I wonder if this is a really silly question? But I really have this question in my mind.

Once we are done breaking in th engine, is it fine to give full throttles right away or should we hold back? Also should the engine be shut off and let it cool completely and start running the engine normally with full throttles after a few hours or mabe the next day?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Good question. Answers to this may vary. IMO, I would run the car the way everyone else wants to run it. A typical engine would last about 20G or so, if you were careful and took good care of the engine, you could easilly outlast 20G. But then again, by the 20th tank, you might as well get a new one because of ware and tear......

So to enjoy it the most, drive it the way you want it. My Inferno appears to be on crack right now because I ran it 100% right after break in, and no, I wasnt letting off the throttle either. The performance on the engine got better, fast response, good high rpm, good top speeds.....

It also becomes easier to tune after you drive it like you stole it, the needle settings will become more tolerant. Once you thought it cant run with this setting, you will find that it now does.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: hpi apollo

i would use something other than blue thunder, fuels with high/higher amounts of castor oil are a bit more forgiving at tuning, vapor lock can be caused by an engine that is running lean, inadeqaute airflow, or both, you can use blue thunder if you want, i would get some castor oil and add it to the fuel, not a big deal, and they run much cooler, when i made my own fuel for the first time, i used 10% straight castor oil and my engine had to be leaned over a full turn to run right, then it was flying and running cool

Apollo,

What fuels are high in castor, I use trinity monster HP 20%. Can you do a post on how to make your own fuel? Oh and excellent thread it was really insightful. Don't worry if people didn't give you grief about your how to guide it wouldn't be good guide.

Fix a car for someone and they will be back in an hour. Teach them how to fix it they will be back in an hour with a new problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM

vladconnery, I don't know how much experience you have with nitro rc, but I really wouldn't recommend trying to make your own fuel. The resources are out there but they are difficult to track down. You would have to buy the ingredients in bulk its a real pain in the neck. Before you know it your gonna be wishing you would of just paid the 30 bucks for the gallon instead paying around $1000 for the 42 gallon barrel of nitro sitting in your garage.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 AM

Thanks,

Thats good to know I'll move on from trying to make it. Which brands are high in castor content I also notice people add castor to there mix. Is this a good idea considering fuel may already have lets say 14% oil. If you add more you are raising the oil content are you not? I started out using traxxas 20% it was the worse switched to trinity MH 20% noticed a difference for sure. However trinity nor most of the fuels I look at say what type of oil it contains. Looking for a fuel with more castor content atleast half and half would be nice. If you know a site that breakdowns the different nitro brands by quality and content could you link it for me?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:33 AM

Troubleshooting help please.

My MGT 3.0 has been broken in. My needle setting according to the manual is 2 and half turns. I run it 1/4th turn richer. But sometimes the enigne flames out. When I have run it and the engine is warmed up it runs fine. I must mention it that i start the engine with 1/8 turn richer when starting from cold and let it warm up and then get back to my original settin i.e 2 and 1/2 turn+ 1/4th turn out.

If i am running pretty rich why is the engine flaming out. The egine just cuts out when i come to a standstill. Everything is fine if the truck is in motion. Also after the engine cuts, I have observed that the carburettor is really hot and as soon as I prime the fuel line, the fuel just evaporates with the heat. I then have to let it cool down before restarting it. I am just using 10% nitro with oure raw castor oil as lubricant.

Shall I reduce the needle setting or increase it? the engine has gone through 15 tanks of fuel.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Could be that fact that it is a lean mixture, what is your ambiant temp? do you know the temp on the head sinks? Check your glow plug to see if any black stufff develops.

If all the above is correct. Then i must say that your idle rpm may be too low, or your low end is too rich. And that your high end may be too lean as well.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Hi i've got a Kyosho FW-05T+ with stock GXR-15 engine.i have two proplems:
1.while the engine is idling the wheels are moving.how can i fix it?which screw must i tune ? clockwise or counter-clockwise?
2.i use novarossi 5# glow plug cold .the weather here in Greece is too warm.i run the engine for 3-4 minutes normally and then it shuts down.must i make the HSN richer?
i am waiting for your help.

thank you.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:14 PM

With a warm weather, normally you wont need more fuel because oxygen density is lower in warm air. So if it is still shutting down, there could be a few possible causes.

Is your high end rich enough? If its too lean, the engine will shut off when you accelerate from idle. The problem with wheel spining could be either a loose clutch spring or your idle rpm is too high. Have your Kyosho Inferno sit off the ground with wheel free spining. Then adjust the idle screw counterclockwise untill engine shuts off. Sop turning when engines shuts off, and turn back clockwise half as much as you did with this adjustment. You may have to lean the Low speed needle as well since you are using low idle rpms. This will make your low end rich, so lean it a little like 1/16 or 1/th of a turn clockwise.

FOr a needle setting diag. See below.

This is a GXR-28 from My Kyosho Inferno GT 1:8 scale

Old 06-22-2008, 04:55 PM

thanks for your reply. No my HSN isn't too lean.my car doesn't shut when accelerate.it shuts in a random time.
ps my car haven't got LSN .
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM

are you running too hot? Try either leaning or richining the HSN and see how it does. one of them will work. Do a high speed run, and then brake and idle, listen to how the engine sounds. You will need more tanks before the engine is properly optimized. I've had the same problem with my GXR28. Just give it some time.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:11 PM

yes i run hot.the cylinder head becomes purple from blue after 2-3 minutes
Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM

i tried today to tune the idle screw but i didn't succeed. when the wheels stopped spinning the engine shut down and because of that i forced to make as before. what is wrong?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Have you taken a look at the clutch yet? If the wheel is still spining at the bottom of idle rpm, then your clutch shoes are too loose. You might have a broken spring. Do you have the stock clutch setup? The stock shoes have a spring coil wraped around the outside, when the shoes wears inward. The spring is exposed, and often worn away making it defective.

Let me know if that was the problem. THe otehr thing about your engine stopping abruptly could be caused from the clutch shoes gripping the clutch bell too hard. So hard that it doesnt provide enough "slip" for the engine to compensate for torque. This would also link into the fact that the clutch springs have been broken, so that could stall your engine too if there was too much load on it.

P.S. I didn't know the GXR-18 comes with only HSN and no Low end needle.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM

i will tell you tomorrow.i don't have GXR-18,i have GXR-15.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 AM

finally i succeed.i tune the idle needle well.the wheels stopped spinning while the engine was idling and it didn't shut down.the clutch is ok.thanks for all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.