Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RPM Pipe V.S. Torque pipe

Old 04-18-2007, 08:23 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Pipe V.S. Torque pipe

How can you tell the difference between a torque pipe and an RPM pipe if there not labeled torque or RPM? I was under the assumption that a torque pipe would be short and stocky and an RPM pipe would be kind of long and narrowing at the end would this be correct or is there something I'm missing. I would think the long narrow pipe would give back pressure or tank pressure later in the RPM range and the Short stocky pipe would give back pressure or tank pressure earlier in the rpm range.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Matt_M

Default RE: RPM Pipe V.S. Torque pipe

It's hard to determine based upon actual shapes, but generally speaking (volume wise) you are correct. A larger pipe will delay the return exhaust pulses and weaken them basically resulting in a compression loss if you will. This allows the motor to flow more exhaust into a higher rpm range. Since the return pulses will be of lower magnitude, the fuel/air charges are not as dense down low, resulting in less low end punch.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: RPM Pipe V.S. Torque pipe

That's what I thought, I just wanted to confirm my thoughts before I blab my mouth, lol. Thanks