Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

engine life

Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
c_hochhalter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine life

whats the normal life of an engine? and whats the longest and shortast life you guys have gotten out of one
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
2916jr

Default RE: engine life

5 gallons longest I got out of my engine but that was a rtr engine but I have ran my os buggy engine for 3 gallons so far and it shows no signs of stopping yet
Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
CrT-RaCeR

longest was 15 gallons out of a os .18tz and the shortest was 3 gallons out of a os .30 vg
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

I generally get around 6 gallons or so through my .12 engines. I have never done it but I have seen people ruin an engine in less than 2 gallons from improper break in and lean running. Last month I also saw a motor that only went 5 minutes past break in because an air filter fell off.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minimum was about three gallons from a Thunder Tiger .12, but i'm hoping to hit double figures with the Pro .21 (TT) in my MGT - it's half way there so far
Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I personally have had 8gallons max out of an RD Logics' .12 512 Katana engine. I did not use the heat cycling method on this engine.

My Nitrostar K4.6s from my Savages have each seen at least 10gallons (more actually, I lost count after 10). Considering that big blocks burn fuel more quickly and therefore go through more gallons quicker than a small block, I think my little Katana engine my have proportionally seen as many gallons as my big blocks.

I have an STS D28M at 10 gallons now, and it is still pulling strong. STS was the only engine instruction sheet that actually recommends the heat-cycling method in line with Fuelman's instructions. It shows no signs at all of any output loss.

I have another STS engine, a D30M, it is now about 4 gallons. Still too early to tell its longgevity.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two el-cheapo Mach 15 engines that came with my pair of Losi XXX NT buggies. Both of these engines were disassembled when new to clean them (and yes they were full of metal dust), then had the snot run out of them. They have only had the recoils replaced by tiger drives and not taken apart to replace anything since new. I have stopped counting gallons of fuel through them at 20 gallons each, and they are a few gallons past that. They still hot start easily and have as much power as they always have. These engines have been run on just about every blend that we make including low nitro stuff like 5% with high oil (over 20%), but mostly they've been run on left over car fuel from filling orders.

I have a Fox 74 airplane engine that has over 100 gallons through it and its happy running temps are 350 and up. I have a Moki 180 with over 200 gallons through it and a Saito 180 with over 100 gallons. Granted these are big engines and consume lots of fuel real fast, but I would guess that 100 gallons in a Fox 74 would be like 20 to 25 in a rc car engine.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:40 AM
mxr

i hava had many OS12 (not ABC construct.) and those did not go very far , but RB X12 went through about 30 Liters before rebuild but the less i have done is ONE TANK of running in a STS 12 as i got a radio loss at starting and the car went crazy and engine broke , not even time to make any settings .
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
rrusso
Banned

longest was a axial .28rr about 9 gallons shortest was about 3 gallons in a 0s .30 vg modded
Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Is your Axial RR still going strong? Just wondering since the engine is still fairly new to the market and I am considering getting one.

As for your .30VG (or even the .21VG), OS made the mistake of using nickle (thier "ABL") in their sleeves. I am absolutely not surprised they are this poor in longevity. Even with the heat-cycling method, I do not see the VG engines lasting many more gallons. Its sad, OS has excellent quality engines, your VG will last you a hundred gallons, but you will have to replace the piston and sleeve about every 5 gallons!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
rrusso
Banned

yep os sleave is very soft.as for the rr its still cromed out!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
86revo

depends on if you broke it in right and if you use 10 20 or 33 % fuel.[8D]
some people take it out of the box and run it wide open with 33% [sm=75_75.gif]and i would be surprised if it got through more than about 1.5 gallons.[sm=drowning.gif]
if you broke it in and run 10% (not that anyone does it run like [email protected]#*) you will be tired of that engine and get a new one before it breaks [8D]
Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
[email protected]

lost one 1/2 gallon to lean was cold out was running a 100 yards at wot and stalled out and that was it for that one. all my others are still going strong 3 or 4 gallons on my mgt. my pro boat has 3 gallons and all that thing knows is full throttle.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
CrT-RaCeR

ORIGINAL: 86revo

depends on if you broke it in right and if you use 10 20 or 33 % fuel.[8D]
some people take it out of the box and run it wide open with 33% [sm=75_75.gif]and i would be surprised if it got through more than about 1.5 gallons.[sm=drowning.gif]
if you broke it in and run 10% (not that anyone does it run like [email protected]#*) you will be tired of that engine and get a new one before it breaks [8D]
Ive ran 30% through ALL my engines and hasnt lowered any life from the. I got 15 gallons out of one changing back and forth rom 20% and 30% and different fuel brands and blends so that is compltly false. more nitro % does NOT mean lower oil...you can have higher nitro %with the same amount of oil %...It all comes down to how you drive it, maintain it ect.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:12 PM
86revo

oh! i had a 2.5r and as soon as as i started using 30% it blew up i thought it was because it put more ware on the engine but i guess it was just the timing
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

When you say blew up, do you mean the innards came apart and shredded inside? Aside from poor craftsmanship from the factory (manufacturing defects), it could have been that you might have run the engine way too lean and grenaded the conrod journal or overevved the engine for too long.

No offense, I am not saying you did this. It's just that some people forget to retune their engines for the new nitro content and they wind up running the engine too hard (overreving it) thinking the new fuel is simply making more power.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
86revo

no i dont mean that it just lost compression i just started getting into rc driving i mostly motocross and when anything happens to the
engine they say it "blew up"
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Oh, sorry. I am guesing then that your engine just has seen its life span and just happened to wear out at the same time you used the 30% fuel.

Or, what it could also be is that your TRX2.5 was broken in using the idle-it-on-blocks method instead of the heat cycling method. The idle-it-on-blocks method will seriously shorten the lifespan of your engine.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 PM
86revo

ya i bought it on ebay[sm=punching.gif] so who knows what the guy befor me did to it[sm=75_75.gif] i am just going to sell the parts on ebay anyway but
some times the throttle on it would get stuck open[:@] but the car was not going like the clutch wasn't engaged[sm=confused.gif] any ideas on what that could have been [sm=confused.gif]??????????????
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
CrT-RaCeR

yeah you need to retune your engine when swiching fuel blends and from 20%-30% it makes a big difference.